Sign in to follow this  
dwamp2006

Handgun parts polishing...

Im sorry but i just cant leave anything alone, i have to tinker with stuff. I have my first handgun, a SD9. I wanted to polish the feedramp, possibly the barrel too. Has anyone done this? What advantage would i see or is it even worth it? Anything else that i can polish to see any performance increases? I bought a dremel, polishing kit and metal polish so i think i have what i need. Any insight, guidance or opinions are welcome. Thanks!

you can polis the feed ramp, do not remove any material, IE change the ramp just polish it. leave the rest of the barrel alone.

It may not need to be done!! unless it is out of the ordinary rough i have a thread on a S&W 22A i polished that i purchased.

I polished the feed ramp on my first pistol which was a Ruger p97 .45acp.

I used a stone, sand paper and various dremel tools. Like others said ... key is to only polish the parts and not to remove much material. Take your time and work slowly. I used the sand paper to smothe the surface by hand and used the dremel for polishing. That way it's a slower and more controllable process. It should have a mirror like finish when you're done.

You can do the same to trigger surfaces and any other sliding metal parts.

The p97 used to get occasional jams when it got fouled with residue. Since polishing the feed ramp it never had a jam. It is also much easier to clean.

just got done doing the feed ramp and it came it awesome! machine marks, dull and kinda rough feeling before, now its smooth as glass and a mirror shine. I cycled 2 mags of HPs and was perfect so we'll see how they cycle at the range. Thanks guys!

PS where safety goggles if you do this, the dremel was flinging polish everywhere and i got it right the eye, dohhh!!!