jamesnjjames

.308 or .30-06 for a single shot handgun hunting

So I purchased a competitor pistol yesterday ..... and I got some weird barrels with it

I want to hunt with it, deer, hog...

I'm not trying to rehash the never ending "caliber for all game" conversation but if I am suddenly unable to get additional barrels for it I'd a good all rounder :)

so ... .308 or 30-06?

Feel free to trow another recommendation out there :)

2013-02-21_23-27-42_842_zps5349a046.jpg

You already have the .458x2" barrel and that should be better than either of the other two cartridges you mentioned, for hunting, deer or hogs.

With that short a barrel you will never efficiently use the powder contained in the round (.308 or .30-06). Nor will you be able to drive the bullet, in .308 diameter, fast enough to insure expansion and get clean kills. The .458x2" OTOH is optimized for short barrel use and the use of a bullet of .458 diameter means that you do not have to rely on expansion for a big wound channel. Plus you have available bullets meant for the .45-70 that may expand at lower velocities.

When you start looking at high velocity, bottlenecked cartridges for handgun length barrels, you are going to be looking at a wildcat, in order to make the best use of the gun.

I had an XP100 in .308 full length, but it was used for knocking down steel, not killing game - so there was a whole different set of parameters in play. I also had a .30 Herrett, which was suitable for both steel and hunting - but again, a shortened, bottlenecked case for efficient use in handgun length barrels.

You have a good round already. Put your efforts and funds into learning how to reload and form the cartridge. JMHO.

Adios,

Pizza Bob