scarecrow

Less Accuracy Using Surplus Ammo in 91/30

Was shooting 1" group at 50 yards from lead sled with Winchester 180gr. fmj. with 91/30 with ler scope. Did my best to zero at 100 yards from lead sled using sardine can surplus ammo. Gruops uppened up to 6"+ . I rarely shoot at 100 yards. So is it me the ammo or both?

I was out shooting some Spam can with my 91/30 yesterday and I can tell you at 50 yards I can keep tight groups but at 100 I get wider ones( That would be my fault) . Have you done anything to float or bed your barrel. How is the crown and muzzle? any dings or scratches? With all that I still would not expect match grade groups from a nagant. Good luck!

there are several things that can be done to a mosin to make them shoot darn good. Crown and bore condition are number 1. They tend to like upward pressure on the end of the barrel so i normally put a piece of leather between the stock and the barrel right near the endcap of the stock. The "scout" scope setups are normally a POS when it comes to accuracy. Shoot with irons and see what it will do, i pretty much gurantee that it will shoot tighter groups than with the scope. Also a triger job is almost a must when it comes to accuracy on these.

there are several things that can be done to a mosin to make them shoot darn good. Crown and bore condition are number 1. They tend to like upward pressure on the end of the barrel so i normally put a piece of leather between the stock and the barrel right near the endcap of the stock. The "scout" scope setups are normally a POS when it comes to accuracy. Shoot with irons and see what it will do, i pretty much gurantee that it will shoot tighter groups than with the scope. Also a triger job is almost a must when it comes to accuracy on these.

Yes I think I'm gonna ditch the scout scope. I also took my m44 with me which has a peep sight and it shot better to point of aim than the cheapo scope. What do you think of a red dot? or should I just stick to irons?

Does that usually work better than free-floating? I have a few Mosins I was considering trying out my amateur 'smithing skills on.

I did this: http://bananafufu.blogspot.com/2007/06/trigger-job-for-your-mosin-nagant-9130.html trigger job on an M44. It really lightened the pull w/o being dangerous.

if you do it in conjunction with free floating you have great results. Most of mine like it near the end cap but a few like it a couple of inches closer to the chamber end of the barrel. it is a matter of finding the SWEET SPOT