Bully

My Experience with Gun For Hire Urban Pistol 1

Just this past sunday, I took Urban Pistol 1 at the Gun For Hire (GFH) location in Cedar Grove. Got there at 9am to a pretty full class. The lead instructor was Joe. Detective Mac and Chuck backed him up.

First off, I have to say that the instructors that Anthony hires are amazing. It hasn't ceased to amaze me how these folks take a subject matter that can see onerous and break it down so that it's fun and easy to learn. Also, their ability to keep the class safe while maintaining an upbeat and fun atmosphere is pretty damn awesome. And they do it with ease. They are most definitely safety concious, no doubt about it. However, it's not the typical range mentality where an ogre is on your ass yelling at someone to holster the weapon or some such thing. Everything comes across as a suggestion, at least the first time. I have no doubt that is someone continually breaks the safety rules that they would be out on their arse, but they way they deal with it is something I haven't seen before.

Secondly, as I said, the material can be a little challenging to those of us that don't normally engage in these types of training excersises. There are a lot of motor skills to learn and putting them together while pulling a trigger while pointing downrange can seeem overwhelming. These folks make it all come VERY easily. It's a natural progression brought about by their teaching methodology.

I had an overwhelmingly great time at the class. Learning to shoot with both eyes open, the constant draw/reholster, moving, scanning, just all great stuff. If I never do it again (I will be doing it again, btw) I would be thrilled with what and how I was taught. But since I will, I will be using it to base my next class with them off of.

Thanks Anthony and the GFH staff. Much obliged.

Christopher

Well said Topher! My experiences with GFH have been similar, and I have trained with them a lot over the last couple of years.

I first took UP1 when I had just been shooting for a few months. To say I was overwhelmed would be an understatement. The training and info I received were great, but I found it difficult to process it, since it was all so new to me. I repeated UP1 a few months later, and felt a lot more comfortable with it.

Subsequently, I've worked through UP2 and 3, which were great. You might also consider taking their two low light classes, and the CCW class.

At the GFH classes you may pay a little more than at some others, but I can assure you that you will never be disappointed.