Vicious

Sell a Firearm Without FID

My boss moved here from Nevada and brought his guns with him. He is thinking about selling me his Mauser or Lee-Enfield, however, he doesn't have a FID, nor does he intend to get one. Is it possible for me to legally transfer a gun from him to me? I feel like in my case a FFL needs to be involved.

Any advice is appreciated. Sources would be a plus. (not that you need them, because everything on the internet is true.)

An FFL is not required for a Face to Face transaction. If he purchased his firearms legally in another state while he was a resident of that state and is now a NJ resident his guns are legal, only if his firearms are NJ legal. As long as you have a valid FID and the firearms are NJ legal all you need to do is use the Certificate of Eligibility form found on the web posted by the NJ State Police to transfer a long gun or shot gun, and if a pistol is involved you still need a pistol permit.

An FFL is not required for a Face to Face transaction. If he purchased his firearms legally in another state while he was a resident of that state and is now a NJ resident his guns are legal, only if his firearms are NJ legal. As long as you have a valid FID and the firearms are NJ legal all you need to do is use the Certificate of Eligibility form found on the web posted by the NJ State Police to transfer a long gun or shot gun, and if a pistol is involved you still need a pistol permit.

Sorry to seem dumb, but you please explain the entire process of buying or selling a used handgun from a NJ resident to another NJ resident. I see that a COE and a pistol permit is needed. What does the buyer/seller do with these documents once the sale is made? Does the state or an FFL need to be involved?

Sorry to seem dumb, but you please explain the entire process of buying or selling a used handgun from a NJ resident to another NJ resident. I see that a COE and a pistol permit is needed. What does the buyer/seller do with these documents once the sale is made? Does the state or an FFL need to be involved?

Rifle/Shotgun

Buyer presents FID and possibly DL or other ID (other ID not required by law, but commonly required by the seller),

Buyer and Seller fill out 1 copy of the COE each, per firearm(s)

Buyer pays Seller (if applicable)

Buyer and Seller each retain 1 copy of COE, per firearm(s)

Ensure that the rifle/shotgun(s) is transported appropriately, enjoy your new rifle/shotgun(s).

Handgun

Buyer presents P2P, FID, and DL/other ID (FID and DL/other ID not technically required by law, but often required by seller)

Buyer and Seller fill out P2P

Buyer pays Seller (if applicable)

Buyer and Seller each retain one copy of P2P.

Seller submits one copy of P2P to NJSP and one copy to the BUYER'S local PD, as required by state law

Ideally transfer will take place at the SELLER'S home or a range, to avoid the Seller unlawfully possessing a handgun.

Ensure the firearm is transported properly and as directly as practicable to the Buyer's home/place of business/other land owned or possessed by him/range.

Handguns DO NOT require a COE, this is for rifles and shotguns only.

As always, not legal advice.

Awesome information everybody, thanks for your help. Now I just need to figure out some prices. Expect a post in another sub-forum!

When I started telling my boss about the FID and pistol permits, he looked at me like I had two heads. I guess I can't blame him... he came from a normal state. Lol