Redrum

Firearms in Trunk Out of State

Hi All, I have a question in regards of visiting friends and family to go shooting. I have a place in Pennsylvania and a place in Delaware that I am able to shoot at. Is it legal for me to put my long guns and pistols in the trunk, of course separate ammo and do things legally and take them down for the weekend to go shooting. I really believe that it would not be a problem but I want to see what people think or what people have done. Thank You in Advance!

Pennsylvania is almost the same as NJ - handguns in a car go to and from a range, and similar exceptions, only. Unless you have a PA LTCF or a handgun CARRY permit from another state.

You mention family and friends and you also mention you have a place. I don't know what "have a place" means, but you cannot take a handgun in a car to a family member's house, apartment, etc. in PA unless you have some sort of handgun carry permit. To and from range.

I should say my brother has 30 acears in Pennsylvania but the house on the property is boarded up because the house was destroyed by some bored kids. In Delaware my inlaws have a large farm. So if I was to go to PA it would be only for the day. Thank You for the insight!

I think I may have asked this before but can't find it, so I'll ask it again..

Is it legal to bring unloaded and properly separated guns from nj into ny to my fathers home and then to go to a range? (Not NYC and not driving anywhere near NYC). Reason I ask is because he'd be really interested in shooting my new cz 75b when we visit in April..

Don't think it's a great idea with all the new laws in ny but I thought I'd check

Edit.. Never mind.. It's not legal.. I found the law

Hello,

I have a vacation home in PA, would I be able to take a rifle and handgun to go shooting at a friends in PA for the weekend, (I know the rules for transportation with a firearm in a vehicle) and then go and stay at my property in PA? Also what if I return say11pm in the evening and get pulled over, I obviously would not be returning from a range at that time so, what do I tell the officer if I ever happened to get into this situation.

Thanks for any and all information.

Thanks Brokglok23,

It would make sense.... Anyone else have any thoughts?

Interesting though, I went to a gun show in PA yesterday, probably thousands of people there,it was packed. How funny is it that I did 'nt see one police officer, not at the event, not in the parking lot, anywhere. Could you imagine the presence in NJ at such a show.

Pretty sure once you leave the state, NJ Laws are null and void and you would have to follow Federal travel laws/ PA laws. You simply just say you were coming back from your home in PA and you are going home. Pretty sure I got that right?

That's correct. You're covered under federal law. As long as it is legal to possess at the start and end of your journey, you don't stop in NJ (NJ law), and have the firearm unloaded in a hard sided securely fastened container you are good.

Thanks Brokglok23,

It would make sense.... Anyone else have any thoughts?

Interesting though, I went to a gun show in PA yesterday, probably thousands of people there,it was packed. How funny is it that I did 'nt see one police officer, not at the event, not in the parking lot, anywhere. Could you imagine the presence in NJ at such a show.

We don't have gun shows in NJ.

I just can't get over how many Gun Owners post questions about transporting unloaded firearms. It's like you're all trained to be SHEEP!

The Forum has ALL of the NJ Firearms laws posted via link on the front page. Asking "advice" here, from people who don't even need to have ever touched a gun is just foolish....

Learn your RIGHTS and then go USE THEM before some other Sheep take them away!

Transporting an unloaded handgun in your trunk in PA is illegal under PA law.

Unless you have a carry permit from any state, or you are traveling to and from the range, dog training (in season), to and from fishing or hunting (when handgun appropriate for that), etc. (similar additional exceptions).

Transporting an unloaded handgun in your trunk in PA is illegal under PA law.

Unless you have a carry permit from any state, or you are traveling to and from the range, dog training (in season), to and from fishing or hunting (when handgun appropriate for that), etc. (similar additional exceptions).

Cite?

From NRA/ILA Firearm Laws For PA

Please see in bold, while in PA, it does not state you need to be traveling to or from a (practice range), It would seem target practice on a friends property would be acceptable. (place of assembly or target practice)

Opinions ? Am I missing something?

it states: (2) when engaged in target shooting or while going to or from shooters’ places of assembly or target practice, provided the firearm is unloaded and the ammunition is carried in a separate container;

Any person carrying a handgun in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person’ is required to have a license to carry or a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit (good only for hunting, fishing, trapping and dog training).

However, no license is required:

(1) to carry a handgun in one’s home or fixed place of business;

(2) when engaged in target shooting or while going to or from shooters’ places of assembly or target practice, provided the firearm is unloaded and the ammunition is carried in a separate container;

(3) for law enforcement personnel, including policemen, jail wardens, and sheriffs and their deputies;

(4) to carry an unloaded and securely wrapped firearm from place of purchase to one’s home or place of business, to or from a place of repair, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another, or from one’s home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, to recover stolen property, or to a location to which the person has been directed to surrender firearms or back upon return of the surrendered firearm;

(5) to carry while lawfully hunting or fishing or going to the place of hunting or fishing, provided one has a hunting or fishing license and a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit;

(6) while carrying a firearm in any vehicle when the person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the U.S. or any other state;

(7) by a person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm and said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of that license;

(8) by any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person’s name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

A Sportsman’s Firearm Permit is valid only for sporting purposes. It is obtained by applying to the county treasurer. The applicant must present his hunting or fishing license and pay a fee of $6.00. The permit is valid for five years. It must be carried with a valid hunting or fishing license.

PK90,

Here is your cite, it's §6106 of the PA Uniform Firearms Act:

http://www.acslpa.org/html/pa_uniform_firearms_act.html

Transporting an unloaded handgun in your trunk (or in or on any conveyance) in PA is illegal under PA law, unless you meet one of the enumerated exceptions. If there is any confusion, let me know which part and I will attempt clarify. Be sure to read the definitions.

Title 18

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

* (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

* (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

* (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

* (1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

* (2) Members of the army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.

* (3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such firearms from the United States or from this Commonwealth.

* (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

* (5) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.

* (6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.

* (7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.

* (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

* (9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

* (10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.

* (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

* (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

* (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

* (14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).

* (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:

* (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.

* (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

* (16) Any person holding a license in accordance with section 6109(f)(3).

From NRA/ILA Firearm Laws For PA

Please see in bold, while in PA, it does not state you need to be traveling to or from a (practice range), It would seem target practice on a friends property would be acceptable. (place of assembly or target practice)

Opinions ? Am I missing something?

Yes. But there is no deviation. For instance, you can't stop for lunch together on your way back home. Or at a convenience store.