Sign in to follow this  

Deciding between Savage 10 or 12

For a 223. I am looking for a shooter out-of-box, not to customize it afterwards.

Wondering if anyone has experience with either and would like to share.

For the 10, I am thinking FCP-K to try out the accu-stock and accu-trigger. Magazine is detachable box, but I am not sure if I can purchase additional magazines.

For the 12, I am thinking the 12 BVSS (4 round internal) and 12 F/TR (single-shot).

I just got a Savage 10 FCP-K for shooting at the same ranges you mentioned. So far, I've only shot it at 100 yds and it was very accurate right out of the box. It was also a pleasure to shoot, little recoil and the muzzle blast with the brake wasn't obnoxious with the 223 round. I was shooting hand loads, 60g with 22.5 H335. I want to stretch it out to 200/300 to try different bullet weights and powders with the 1:9 twist.

I just got a Savage 10 FCP-K for shooting at the same ranges you mentioned. So far, I've only shot it at 100 yds and it was very accurate right out of the box. It was also a pleasure to shoot, little recoil and the muzzle blast with the brake wasn't obnoxious with the 223 round. I was shooting hand loads, 60g with 22.5 H335. I want to stretch it out to 200/300 to try different bullet weights and powders with the 1:9 twist.

Are you hand loading for cost and availability considerations? Or do you feel the quality of factory load 223 ammo lacking, compared to what the rifle is capable of?

Cabelas has a varminter from Savage for $750 with accutrigger and accustock, but I decided against it because the barrel isn't heavy.

Dicks has a 11vt for $599, including acutrigger, heavy barrel and scope. Stock looks cheap, but I am considering to pick that one, since I am just starting out.

I never thought hand loading for this caliber was a way to save money because I always found good deals on bulk ammo before all this went down. I reload to develop loads as part of the hobby. So far, my hand loads group tighter than factory ammo.

I don't care for house specific brands myself.

I never thought hand loading for this caliber was a way to save money because I always found good deals on bulk ammo before all this went down. I reload to develop loads as part of the hobby. So far, my hand loads group tighter than factory ammo.

I don't care for house specific brands myself.

I would love to hear how your load development progresses. Are you thinking to try a 55 grain for that 1:9?

For me, if I can get <.75 MOA at 100/200/300 out of factory match 223, I think I'll probably be happy.

The part I worry about is, so much of the factory match 223 seem to be 69, 75 and 77 grains, maybe I should be looking at 1:7 twists if I plan to rely upon factory loads.

I stopped by Dick's in Rockaway today. They had an 11vt in 22-250 for $549. Looked real nice, except the stock looked a little cheap.

I decided to pass. I think their 22-250 has 1:12 twist rate, which I am not too sure about for a 224 bullet.

The guy told me, for anything in 223, check back in July. ;)

Try a 69gr HPBT bullet and some Varget. I shot a .182 MOA group at 100yds with a Nosler HPBT and 25gr. Varget at COL 2.26. I'm averaging under .5 MOA shooting 3 round groups. This was with a bone stock Rem 700 SPS Tactical off a rest.

IMG_20130331_101732_422_zpsb6633c62.jpg

Try a 69gr HPBT bullet and some Varget. I shot a .182 MOA group at 100yds with a Nosler HPBT and 25gr. Varget at COL 2.26. I'm averaging under .5 MOA shooting 3 round groups. This was with a bone stock Rem 700 SPS Tactical off a rest.

I'd want to see that at 300yds to see if that bullet is actually stable.

Nice shooting.

I too have the 10FCP-K and do enjoy shooting it. It is accurate out of the box, perhaps more so than I am, and that is using the cheap Remington/WWB I often run through it. I've only shot mine to 100yds, but it has done well for me. I've added a Harris bipod and Nikon BuckMaster 6-18x40. I love the heavy barrel, trigger is crisp and light, stock is very solid...

Spare mags are [supposedly] out there, for $40-50 a piece shipped. However, even those seem to be hard to find...believe you're looking for magazine 55155. I'd tell you for sure, if the spare I ordered in January ever shows up.... They claim these are 4 round mags, but it is a 5 round mag...

I stopped by Dick's in Paramus this morning. No ammo. Buy they had 2 11vt, which look like the same heavy barrel and accutrigger, in a black synthetic instead of accustock.

I should have it next week. I'll break it in, zero the bundled scope, and let you know how it does on cheap ammo I have.

I stopped by Dick's in Paramus this morning. No ammo. Buy they had 2 11vt, which look like the same heavy barrel and accutrigger, in a black synthetic instead of accustock.

I should have it next week. I'll break it in, zero the bundled scope, and let you know how it does on cheap ammo I have.

Congrats! That looks like a nice bundle they have on the Savage 11VT at Dicks. Bushnell has raised the bar on their scopes the last couple years as well so you should have some nice glass to compliment the Savage.

The Bushnell looks like a Banner 4-12, which has good reviews. I plan to keep it on for breaking in the barrel and zeroing at 50 and 100.

But before I go to 200 and 300 I will probably replace it with a Mueller 8x32 side focus I currently have on a 22lr. It is twice the weight, but since I plan to shoot this bench and prone weight isn't a concern. I also like being able to see the holes without carrying a separate spotting scope.

Finally got the chance to take the Savage 11-VT to the range. After getting more comfortable on the rifle, I was about grouping 5 rounds at 1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Used inexpensive ammo, like American Eagle, Remington UMC.

Cleaned after every shot for the first 10 shots. Then cleaned every 2, 3, 5, 10 and 15 shots. Total 130 rounds today.

I am usually more accustomed to the 22lr, today I worked on loading my shoulder into the rifle and feeling the recoil.

In a few more weeks I'll take it back out, with a higher magnification scope, Fiocchi match grade, and try again at 100, 200 an 300 yards. The crosshairs and dot on the Bushnell look huge: at 12x at 100 yards it seems to cover half-inch.

I stopped by Dick's in Rockaway today. They had an 11vt in 22-250 for $549. Looked real nice, except the stock looked a little cheap.

I decided to pass. I think their 22-250 has 1:12 twist rate, which I am not too sure about for a 224 bullet.

The guy told me, for anything in 223, check back in July. ;)

I saw you purchased the Savage 11vt. Very glad to hear it, you'll be very happy with it. I just found your post today and I would've chimed in earlier to recommend a Savage anyway. About 2 or 3 months ago I purchased a Savage model 12 BVSS in 22-250 Remington. Absolutely love the gun, stupid, stupid accurate. I don't handload unfortunately so I'm limited to factory ammo, I've found that my rifle loves Nosler Trophy Grade 55gr ballstic tips. I'll try to post up some pics of my groups a little later. But to your comment about the 1:12 Twist rate. That's the twist my barrel has, and for a 22-250 its actually a faster than normal twist. Remington 700's usually come with a 1:14 twist barrel. Thing to keep in mind is the much higher velocity at which the 22-250 operates as compared to the 223. Typically a 55gr 223 moves along around 3200-3300fps depending on the brand of ammo (talking factory loads here), the 22-250 with the same 55gr bullet moves along around 3700-3800fps. The extra velocity allow's for the slower (than 223) barrel twist rate. Anyway would love to see your results from your next range outing. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised once you get comfortable with it just how accurate you can be. 

post-6093-0-29779900-1368154580_thumb.jpg

post-6093-0-45241900-1368154697_thumb.jpg

Here's my best 100 yard 3 shot group to date. Using Nosler Trophy Grade Ballistic Tip 55gr at 100 yards. All my best shooting I've done from a bench with a front tripod rest and a rear bag. Still practicing my prone shooting. I don't have a fancy digital caliper measuring device, but my tape measure says its roughly 1/4 of an inch. Very happy with that, this was only the 3rd time I ever shot the rifle. The 3 black pasties around were my first three warm up shots, cool to see how once I got comfortable the shots just sucked into the center of the first 3 and made one big hole. 

post-6093-0-04696000-1368154848_thumb.jpg

post-6093-0-23788000-1368154874_thumb.jpg

Here's my best 100 yard 5 shot group with the same ammo. This was the most recent trip to EFGA last month. Scary to think I haven't been to the range since then. Obviously getting very comfortable with the rifle. 

post-6093-0-43193100-1368155032_thumb.jpg

Here's my best 200 yard 5 shot group with the same ammo. This was shot at Ontelaunee Rod & Gun Club from a bench on a windy day in March. This was my second time there and second time ever shooting at 200 yards. Didn't take a pic with the tape measure for some reason, but the 5 shots measured roughly 3/4 of inch. If you only count the 4 that were all touching it was a 1/2 inch. Very pleased with it so far, although I know i'll get better with practice. Its just hard to find the Nosler factory loaded ammunition, I have to get it online and it sells out quickly. 

Awesome pictures.  I think targets where individual bullet holes touch to link a bigger hole are just the prettiest patterns.

I have pictures but, using American Eagle, bullet holes are not touching at 100 yards.  I'll wait for a day when the wind is a little calmer, to give the rifle a fair chance to prove itself, rather than be held back by my wind reading abilities.  Then if I'll post something if it is pretty enough.

I saw a 11VT chambered in 22-250 and was tempted.  I might look to a 22-250 next, as I punch paper only.