Sign in to follow this  
RABBIT

Legality Of Making My Own 15/30 Magazines

I just finished up my Saiga 5.45 project and the only thing that's still bothering me is the 10 round magazines I'm forced to use. I know that the guy over at MountainArmory specializes in making compliant magazines, but I've called and called and I always get the same answer about him not having a source for AK-74 mags.

I already know that rebuild kits are not an option for us living in the People's Republic of New Jersey, but I found this site recently that has some AK-74 magazines in stock and it has a special option for those in California, where the guy doesn't sell them in rebuild kits, and removes the spring so that you only receive a magazine body, a follower, and floor plate so it's not functional at all.

Is it legal to ship just a magazine body to someone in NJ? All I need is the 30 round magazine body and I'll modify it myself permentantly for a 15 round cap.

This is such a pain in the ass to find a solution for this.

Take a Tapco 10 round mag and shorten the bottom of the follower a little bit at a time until it holds 15 rounds. Be sure to keep checking as you remove the plastic so you can't get 15+ in. Not hard to do and it will function just fine.

But I want the 30 round magazine body for aesthetic reasons. I actually already did that to the five Tapco 10 rounders I have now, so they hold 13-14.