tommyfeds

A newbie's view

Hi All,

So I just wanted to post my very green and "newbie" view of what I have seen at my two local indoor ranges, Shore Shot and Brick Armory. Im not sure what is really par for the course and what I should expect, but Im just a little ..............perplexed? maybe thats the word. I should mention that I did join Brick Armory as a member about two weeks ago and this was based on simply them having a larger range with more room and the back counter (for what its worth) and the fact that I do not have to shoot frangible .223/.556 in my AR.

Ive been to SS a couple of times and while its smaller and a bit beat up I did like that they had the range officers in there. I always felt safe and there was always a feeling of "supervision". A bit strict but hey, there are not nerf guns we are shooting so I dont mind that at all. There was always someone there if I needed assistance. I felt it was always crowded and that a few extra lanes would be better for a capacity point so for that I was interested in BA.

This leeds me to tonight..........Being new to the sport, I took my wife with me tonight on a little date night. It was her first time shooting. Got a sitter, grabbed my only two rifles, a 10/22 and my AR and headed to BA. It was not busy at all, which was great. There was also no range officer at any point to keep an eye which made me a bit uncomfortable but everyone seemed to be safe. I then noticed the guy next to me with his collapsible stock, bayo lug and flash suppresser. This didnt make me feel unsafe as Im smart enough to know these dont make a rifle any more dangerous.........but they do make it illegal. I dont know where the responsibility of the range begins and ends and who am I to say anything so whatever. There was a gentleman showing two ladies how to shoot a couple of bays down. Seemed like they were first time shooters, it was all in good fun and seemed safe. I notice him leave and then quickly return with an AR and a large magazine. Two minutes later this thing is in full auto and he blew through a mag in seconds. It was a bit alarming and everyone stops and he states something along the lines of .....dont worry its designed to do that with a grin. I guess it was all over my face, the fact that I was not really pleased and he says to me "smile, its not all that bad".................on my way out I find out that guy is (for the sake of whatever, Ill call him) not just any ol' customer.

As a new shooter looking to learn the ropes, Im not sure I joined the right range :-(

So what is "par for the course"? Are moments like these to be expected? Am I just the square kid in class who doesnt appreciate the bending of laws? Again......these arent nerf guns we are shooting.

..................time for bed for me, I hope to catch up on here tomorrow morning.

Hi All,

I then noticed the guy next to me with his collapsible stock, bayo lug and flash suppresser. This didnt make me feel unsafe as Im smart enough to know these dont make a rifle any more dangerous.........but they do make it illegal. I dont know where the responsibility of the range begins and ends and who am I to say anything so whatever. .............

So, what's the problem?

So, what's the problem?

I think the "problem" is the lack of any supervision at BA. While those evil features obviously pose no danger, the fact that people are using illegal firearms and full auto firearms on a range that has no RO's keeping things safe add up. There is definitely a sense of being "on your own" in that joint.

I went to BA to see their inventory a couple of times and noticed only a few shooters on the range. The RO was back and forth from the shop to the range numerous times. I don't think he was supervising anything.

I shot a few times at Shore Shot and yes the place is beat up and rundown but the RO's are always on the range and paying attention. While I was in the shop looking at guns one day I overheard an RO reprimand a shooter for not having his weapon pointed down range while reloading and then moments later he yelled at another shooter for muzzle flashing the booth next to him. Seems strict to some but with firearms and new shooters you have to be to keep everyone safe.

My question is (a serious question)... Did you feel unsafe when this "not any 'ol customer" was shooting what seemed to be full auto? Or was it just the fact that he was shooting something that seemed to be full auto and you dont think he should have because full auto is illegal to have in NJ?

I am quite a newb myself, and I have been to both SS and BA. What you say is true, SS has more supervision on the range, but then BA has more space and more relaxed atmosphere (even though some here have complained about being muzzle swept there). Personally, I prefer less crowded and less pressed for time, but the only time I went to BA, there were only about 3 other people on the range and they were all acting safely.

Im not planning on becoming a member of BA as I will more than likely eventually join CJRPC, but I will shoot at BA until I join CJRPC because its close to me and as I said above, its considerably less crowded.

I think the "problem" is the lack of any supervision at BA. While those evil features obviously pose no danger, the fact that people are using illegal firearms and full auto firearms on a range that has no RO's keeping things safe add up. There is definitely a sense of being "on your own" in that joint.

This really is my point. Thank you.

I am sure it was full auto as it was confirmed by the employee while on my way out.............(actually as I was filling out papers for my new mosin nagant, but thats another post for another day ;-)

I guess what Im trying to say is, being new to everything, Im trying to follow the letter of the law as it seems many if not all do on this forum. It would seem to me that any "rif raf" at a range would just lead to bad press and a negative stigma on gun owners. With a lack of RO's there it seems to be a wild wild west behind that door is all. Im a member now and thats where Ill go to shoot but if this continues I may have to go elsewhere.

I dont want this to come across as a complaint post, it is a more a question as to what is the "norm" and what should and should not be expected when going to a range. Am I just being the nerd in class? Is this was is to be expected in a range? putting the full auto aside, if someone showed up to any other range with a rifle that was very clearly NOT NJ legal, would they stop him/her from shooting it there?

Thanks all for the replies!

My question is (a serious question)... Did you feel unsafe when this "not any 'ol customer" was shooting what seemed to be full auto? Or was it just the fact that he was shooting something that seemed to be full auto and you dont think he should have because full auto is illegal to have in NJ?

I didnt know who this person was at first and Im not sure if it makes it better or worse once I did find out. It made me feel a bit safer, on one hand, since Im figuring now this person has handled many more firearms then I will ever in my life but, on the other, a little less since Im thinking this person should be setting more of an example.

I didnt feel unsafe because of that incident per say. Its the fact that it goes on with no supervision or set of rules that makes me think twice about what goes on there.

Please dont think Im scared to go back or that Im lodging an official complaint, its just a bit unsettling is all. Now when I go Ill just know that Ill need to be even more on the "look out" for the rest of the shooters behaviors.

I don't know why anyone would want to shoot there AR indoors anyway. If you are close enough to join SS or BA then go to range14 and there you can shoot out to two hundred yards. So to me shooting any rifle inside at either range sucks. In my experience BA's RO's are hit and miss. SS usually has them and they are pretty quick to jump on someone when they screw up. I think at both ranges there is a range rule of no speed shooting, double taps ok any more than two is a no go.

Let me start by saying that I am a complete noob. My wife and I joined BA about a month and a half ago, and have been there 2x per week since. When we come on a Saturday or Sunday, there is typically an RO coming in and out of the range, but during the week, we have been on our own. The first day we joined, we were told the rules, were shown around, and were left on our own.

What I really like about BA is that it is never crowded. Every time we been there, there is typically only 3 or 4 other people shooting. We never have to wait, or be rushed. I also like the people that work there, who are always helpful, and willing to explain things and answer stupid questions.

I think some extra supervision of the range would be helpful, but I am very happy with my membership there so far.

I never got the rules and no tour :-( Im over it though. Ill probably be there one if not two nights this week :-) I do like the casual atmosphere very much..... and it may be silly, but I like the workbench/counter space area so I dont have to keep jackets/bags on the floor. A RO at SS had said something about the ATF coming in and cracking down on those work bench type of areas behind the range. Said it was a safety issue and people were getting shot in the back or something and thats why they got rid of the tables there. Dont know the rules behind that one, I kinda figure if the ATF is pushing these rules then they would be universal for all ranges.

The big plus side though is my Wife shot the AR for the first time! hehe, she got two rounds down and decided she didnt like it and the 10/22 was more her speed. Oh well.........22 is cheaper anyway ;-)

I'm new and I'm a member of both. Don't know if any of you are vets or le but you get a discount membership at both. I can say I do like the idea of a ro at Shoreshot but a little crowded the one time I was there, I do like ba because its usually 2 people shooting, joined ba too because it seemed to fit the times I wanted to shoot better. I will still go to both, however I like it better with less people just because I can be better aware of my surrounds. I understand the ro 's purpose, but ultimately it's our responsibility to ensure our safety. But as for the full auto, yes it illegal, yes it feels weird to hear and see it because we've been conditioned to feel that way, I've been conditioned to be cheap and with the prices off 223 I feel more strongly about the waste of ammo..lol. Did you feel unsafe because he was acting unsafe while firing it? We get a newbie get together at one of the ranges someday