Itisafoot

Looking for a 1911

1911's are funny. You can spend from $400 to $4000 on a new one. And then if you want a true custom, or a super high-end semi custom from Nighthawk or Wilson Combat, the numbers keep getting higher.

Rather than just focusing on the money part, ask a few questions first.

1) What will you be using the gun for?

2) How often will you be shooting it?

3) Are you looking for classic looks or pure functionality

4) Do you care about craftsmanship?

5) Finally, how much are you willing to spend.

A range gun just has to be fun to shoot. An occasional misfeed or jam is not a big deal. A home protection gun has to work right every time. A 1911 for gun games should be configured for the sport. A classic 1911 looks awesome, but has a smaller grip safety and rear sights than a modern style one. Do you want front serrations and night sights and ambi safeties? Some love them. Others think they are fluff. Their are all kinds of questions to ask yourself before settling on a 1911.

The link above on 1911Addicts is good. It shows you most of the popular guns in all the price ranges. And remember, for everyone that doesn't like certain brands, there are probably just as many who are fans. I can personally attest to having good luck with Colts. They are classics and have always shot well for me, and retain their value well. I am not a fan of Taurus and Kimber, for different reasons. I know people that love their Taurus' and Kimbers. So you really need to hold them for yourself, and shoot them if possible.

I know personally I prefer the classic looks combined with modern functionality. I want my gun to be reliable, but I don't like lots of engraving and name brands on the slide. To me, the Ed Brown Executive Elite is and Wilson Combat Professional are the nicest examples of the kind of 1911 I would like to own. Of course they are $2500 guns, and are not for everybody (probably not even for me). But I can dream.

index_25.jpg

Listen to this guy

There's a lot of variation in the 1911 world. Here's the buying guide I used to figure out my first 1911 purchase. http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts...

I used the same guide when buying my 1911 last year and ended with a Remington 1911 Enhansed.

My other choices were Ruger 1911 , Sig Nightmare Fastback and Springfield Range Officer.

Even though this question comes up every two weeks, I can't help but post...

I have 3 in 45 acp:

Sig 1911 ~$1000...I do NOT recomend sig...Just an OK gun...

Kimber Team Match II..$1,500 - Excelent "value" for a true competion level gun.

Wilson Tactical Elite $3,XXX (over 3,000$)...Unbelievable pistol if you want the extra performance, shot to shot recovery, etc - but you do pay-up!