Blake

Streamlight TLR-1 HL input?

Just ordered a TLR-1 HL from Primary Arms for $140

I have other tlr-1's and thought that they were fairly bright at 165 lumens.

Anyone have first hand experience with this one? I figure that $140 for 630 lumens is a pretty good bang for the buck and worth checking out.

Would also like to hear from anyone who owns this and the surefire x300 ultra. I know the surefire's are built a little more sturdy, but for my use it isn't going to be used too hard, so I am more interested in light output and beam.

I recently purchased the TLR-1 HL and am extremely pleased with it. It is the first such light I have purchased. I purchased it for use on my new Mossberg 590 Shotgun(Model#50668). The lamp is extremely powerful and the spread of light seems about just right for home defense. It supports regular and strobe modes. Either of these modes can be activated either fulltime or just for as long as you hold the on/off lever. Purchased mine from Botach Tactical. To mount it, I purchased a LaserLyte Tri-Rail Mount(#LAA DPTRIR-140) from Adorama, a very reputable photography store in NYC that I have dealt with for many years. Undoubtedly, the strobe mode of this powerful light would truly be disorienting. It's build quality appears to be excellent(built like a tank).

I only own a Surefire Ultra X300 so I can't speak of the TLR. The X300 is bright. Almost too bright for indoor use. Don't make the same mistake I did and shine the light into a mirror to look what it looks like from the other end. LOL. My eyes did not like that. It seems to be less bright now after about 6 months of owning it. I don't know if its the battery or carbon on the lens from firing, but I actually like that its not as bright as it's still plenty bright enough for outdoors but not to bright for indoor use. One thing you note, make sure you clean the lens after every time you shoot your pistol. I actually don't know if its carbon or what, but the lens does get dirty. It is built very well and I believe it would hold up well after repeated drops on concrete.

Take a low light class and you will find out all you need to know about weapon lights and what the best use is for your needs. some lights are too bright for indoor use especially if all your walls are white. you can blind yourself easily turning corners in your home just from hi power lights bouncing off your walls! But if used properly that very bright light can be a total advantage in a defense appreciation. Tonight when its dark put all the lights in your house out and walk around turning corners randomly shining the light on and off from wall to wall up and down. this would give you an idea of what you would be doing at night when things start to go bump. Good luck! Enjoy you light!

Just a quick update, the light came in about a week and a half ago and I have played with it a few times now. It is BRIGHT, it makes my 165 lumen tlr-1 look like I am using a candle. I tried it out in several scenario's, including Tallday's suggestion of turning all the lights off and basically clearing my condo. The light is def very bright, but was not blinding for me. The only feature I found unusable indoors was the strobe. I think that it would distract me almost as much as the intruder at close range.

I also took it to my father's office building where things are a little more spread out, and has a 200yd parking lot. Standing on one end of the parking lot the light threw enough of a beam to easily discern the details of the boats that were on blocks at the other end. I think that this light would be fantastic for clearing a yard or searching for someone outdoors or in the woods.

Overall I am very happy with the light, but due to my need to know what else is out there, I am also ordering a surefire x300 ultra. I will report back when that comes in. Whichever one wins I am going to order a few more to outfit a few more pistols.

Thank you all for your help and input.