Sig226GuyNJ

Important Advice Needed

I dont see any of this as ignorant. Some of it heated or a little harsh perhaps. The one thing about the post that got me riled up is the fact that some people feel that rules should not apply to them. I think that may be what got matty, njjim and JLF all worked up. I was gonna stay out of it but in an ignorant staement the three mentioned above were acused of making an ignorant post. Kinda the pot calling the kettle black to me.

Maybe you got the answer you where looking for here, maybe not. Good luck with your situation

Ken

LOL. :facepalm: You just had to butt in didnt you? Perhaps you should actually read every post because if you had, you would've realized that JLF was the only one of the three you mentioned that actually made sense and defended me....

As for thinking the rules don't apply to me. Yet again, you failed at reading every post, b/c if you had, you would've realized that I have stated over and over again that I do not want to just sneak them in as some have stated, although I admit is it tempting. Part of the reason of not wanting to sneak them is is b/c I do want to follow the rules. What about NJ law exempting certain people of this rule do you and some of the others not understand? Like I've mentioned before, if you have nothing productive to add to the conversation, where a member merely asks for advice, don't say anything at all. I do appreciate the good luck sentiment though. ;)

Can a mod please close this thread as I've gotten the answers I need and this thread has also shown me how some people open up their mouths with nothing useful to say, without reading all of the actual posts that have been made. No wonder the 2nd amendment community as a whole has been continuously stripped of our rights. You guys condemn a man and blow things way out of proportion for asking a simple question. No wonder we can't stand as a united front against tyranny....

To those who offered sound advice, once again I thank you and apologize for the actions of a few. I did not ask for anyone's views on the subject at hand. I simply asked for advice, and to those who offered it, thank you.

Now can a mod please close this thread?

LOL. :facepalm: You just had to butt in didnt you? Perhaps you should actually read every post because if you had, you would've realized that JLF was the only one of the three you mentioned that actually made sense and defended me....

As for thinking the rules don't apply to me. Yet again, you failed at reading every post, b/c if you had, you would've realized that I have stated over and over again that I do not want to just sneak them in as some have stated, although I admit is it tempting. Part of the reason of not wanting to sneak them is is b/c I do want to follow the rules. What about NJ law exempting certain people of this rule do you and some of the others not understand? Like I've mentioned before, if you have nothing productive to add to the conversation, where a member merely asks for advice, don't say anything at all. I do appreciate the good luck sentiment though. ;)

Can a mod please close this thread as I've gotten the answers I need and this thread has also shown me how some people open up their mouths with nothing useful to say, without reading all of the actual posts that have been made. No wonder the 2nd amendment community as a whole has been continuously stripped of our rights. You guys condemn a man and blow things way out of proportion for asking a simple question. No wonder we can't stand as a united front against tyranny....

To those who offered sound advice, once again I thank you and apologize for the actions of a few. I did not ask for anyone's views on the subject at hand. I simply asked for advice, and to those who offered it, thank you.

Now can a mod please close this thread?

You are correct, I added his name in error. There is no need to get all butthurt at me. You didnt seem to understand some of the other points of view expressed here, I was merely offering my advice on the problem at hand here.

BTW, if you do not want the advice of others then DO NOT head your post with "Important Advice Needed" You will get just that.

Ken

I will try to be as pragmatic and level headed as I can be with my reply..

Whilst I agree that its stupid that apartment complexes should not allow pets, it is unfortunately within their legal rights to do so. Knowing that they do not allow pets should have, in fact, steered you to look elsewhere unless you were ready to give up your cats. If the apartment complex finds out that you have snuck cats into the apartment against the rules of your lease agreement, they can evict you (although not easily) but they WILL force you to get rid of them immediately if they find out. You will not have 30 days, than can legally force you to get rid of them the next day (or the same day if they really want to be arseholes about it). I used to live in an apartment complex, and while they did allow pets (for more rent per month), if they found out that you had pets without paying for it, they would either force you to pay more that same month (and every month that you lived there that you had the animal) or ask you to remove the animal(s) if you were not willing to pay. Trying to go around the rules is within your right, but its also your problem when/if you get caught skirting them. Just know the ramifications before you do it.

Above aside, I do not believe that you can use high blood pressure as a disability. A disability is something that you cannot manage or cure with medical help or a lifestyle change. Medications or better diet/exercise can lower your blood pressure (and I am betting that you are already on them or will be soon), and I am guessing that you will not find many doctors who would be willing to try sending such a letter on your behalf just so you can keep your cats in an apartment that you knew didnt take pets before you decided to move in. Even if you can find such a doctor, the apartment complex management does not have to accept that letter, as they are well versed in the disability laws, and probably know (either themselves or through lawyers) whether or not that HBP can be used as a definition of a disability under the law.

Conversely, being diagnosed with HBP will not make you lose your guns. Unless your HBP prevents you from using the guns safely, they wont be taken away for that..

My advice (FWIW) is that if you really want to live in that apartment complex, try to find someone to take the cats before you move in. As someone else said, giving them up to a shelter will often lead to them being euthanized (unless you take them to a no-kill shelter).

Good luck

You are correct, I added his name in error. There is no need to get all butthurt at me. You didnt seem to understand some of the other points of view expressed here, I was merely offering my advice on the problem at hand here.

BTW, if you do not want the advice of others then DO NOT head your post with "Important Advice Needed" You will get just that.

Ken

I'm not butthurt whatsoever. Just pointing out the mistakes others have made in condemning me. And in all seriousness, what is wrong with the title of my thread? I was serious in being concerned that the state could look at my "disability" (as stated by the medical field, NOT me), and say that could disqualify me from having firearms. As silly as that may be to some, we do live in NJ afterall and have seen our rights eroded time and time again. And most gave sound advice, yet some came in here merely to condemn me for some reason.... Without any advice given.

I will try to be as pragmatic and level headed as I can be with my reply..

Whilst I agree that its stupid that apartment complexes should not allow pets, it is unfortunately within their legal rights to do so. Knowing that they do not allow pets should have, in fact, steered you to look elsewhere unless you were ready to give up your cats. If the apartment complex finds out that you have snuck cats into the apartment against the rules of your lease agreement, they can evict you (although not easily) but they WILL force you to get rid of them immediately if they find out. You will not have 30 days, than can legally force you to get rid of them the next day (or the same day if they really want to be arseholes about it). I used to live in an apartment complex, and while they did allow pets (for more rent per month), if they found out that you had pets without paying for it, they would either force you to pay more that same month (and every month that you lived there that you had the animal) or ask you to remove the animal(s) if you were not willing to pay. Trying to go around the rules is within your right, but its also your problem when/if you get caught skirting them. Just know the ramifications before you do it.

Above aside, I do not believe that you can use high blood pressure as a disability. A disability is something that you cannot manage or cure with medical help or a lifestyle change. Medications or better diet/exercise can lower your blood pressure (and I am betting that you are already on them or will be soon), and I am guessing that you will not find many doctors who would be willing to try sending such a letter on your behalf just so you can keep your cats in an apartment that you knew didnt take pets before you decided to move in. Even if you can find such a doctor, the apartment complex management does not have to accept that letter, as they are well versed in the disability laws, and probably know (either themselves or through lawyers) whether or not that HBP can be used as a definition of a disability under the law.

Conversely, being diagnosed with HBP will not make you lose your guns. Unless your HBP prevents you from using the guns safely, they wont be taken away for that..

My advice (FWIW) is that if you really want to live in that apartment complex, try to find someone to take the cats before you move in. As someone else said, giving them up to a shelter will often lead to them being euthanized (unless you take them to a no-kill shelter).

Good luck

EXCELLENT advice sir. Although not what I wanted to hear, it was excellent advice. I appreciate you taking the time to type that up.

I'm not butthurt whatsoever. Just pointing out the mistakes others have made in condemning me. And in all seriousness, what is wrong with the title of my thread? I was serious in being concerned that the state could look at my "disability" (as stated by the medical field, NOT me), and say that could disqualify me from having firearms. As silly as that may be to some, we do live in NJ afterall and have seen our rights eroded time and time again. And most gave sound advice, yet some came in here merely to condemn me for some reason.... Without any advice given.

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

This is what I base my advice on,

I have a few rental properties and I get people that want to change the no pet rule all the time. They all have some special reason that makes them more important than the rules and it drives me nuts. Not one of them was disabled (blind, in a wheel chair,...) The reason for my no pet policy is not because I dont like animals. I have 2 dogs and 3 cats that are all rescues and wonderful companions. My reason is that I had one tennant do several thousand dollars worth of damage because they where not capable of taking care of an animal. The only thing I got out of it was a judgement, no money, and a ton of lost time.

Ken

Yeah, he's trying to bend the law so he can get better housing and not abandon his cats. But really there's nothing really immoral about it and I don't see a need to chew the guy out.

I could see getting riled up over fat people using handicapped parking or newark projects with able bodied people living in them rent free.

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

This is what I base my advice on,

I have a few rental properties and I get people that want to change the no pet rule all the time. They all have some special reason that makes them more important than the rules and it drives me nuts. Not one of them was disabled (blind, in a wheel chair,...) The reason for my no pet policy is not because I dont like animals. I have 2 dogs and 3 cats that are all rescues and wonderful companions. My reason is that I had one tennant do several thousand dollars worth of damage because they where not capable of taking care of an animal. The only thing I got out of it was a judgement, no money, and a ton of lost time.

Ken

Ken, I have no problem with the no pets policy. As an owner, I believe you should be able to set forth any rules you want. Not once did I say I disagreed with the policy and in fact, support landlords to enact any policy they see fit. My father rents out 3 properties and I can tell you first hand, rules are very important. Sorry for you loss of $$$ due to a bad tenant not holding up his end of the bargain. I'd be furious if I had to deal with that. In fact, I did have to deal with it in some manner. Before we moved into this home, my father had been renting it out to another family.This family had a dog that would shit and piss everywhere. When you walked into the home, it would smell like piss. No lie. It was absolutely disgusting and I can't imagine how anyone can live like that tbh. They literally lived in filth. It took my father and me 2 months to fix the house up before it was suitable to live in. We ripped out every piece of carpet and put it in ourselves, which took forever b/c we both had full time jobs as well. The anger that my father and I had towards those "tenants" was immense. And guess what? All we got out of it was their security deposit, which they actually fought to keep! Anyway, I can see your side of things, I truly can. But these cats are well behaved, well mannered, well trained, not that it matters in this conversation anyway. I can feel your pain thought, is what I'm trying to say.

Yeah, he's trying to bend the law so he can get better housing and not abandon his cats. But really there's nothing really immoral about it and I don't see a need to chew the guy out.

I could see getting riled up over fat people using handicapped parking or newark projects with able bodied people living in them rent free.

LOL. Your second sentence made me crack up. But you're right, people with handicap tags that don't need it, piss me off. My mother in law is disabled, and I remember taking her somewhere once, and watching someone with a handicap tag pull into the only spot that was left, and then proceed to jump out of the car and walk effortlessly into the store... Needless to say I was not happy.

While I don't disagree about handicap parking and false tag owners, you cannot tell if they are handicapped by looking at someone. Walking erect and straight does not depict a healthy person.

LOL. Your second sentence made me crack up. But you're right, people with handicap tags that don't need it, piss me off. My mother in law is disabled, and I remember taking her somewhere once, and watching someone with a handicap tag pull into the only spot that was left, and then proceed to jump out of the car and walk effortlessly into the store... Needless to say I was not happy.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Ken, I have no problem with the no pets policy. As an owner, I believe you should be able to set forth any rules you want. Not once did I say I disagreed with the policy and in fact, support landlords to enact any policy they see fit. My father rents out 3 properties and I can tell you first hand, rules are very important. Sorry for you loss of $$$ due to a bad tenant not holding up his end of the bargain. I'd be furious if I had to deal with that. In fact, I did have to deal with it in some manner. Before we moved into this home, my father had been renting it out to another family.This family had a dog that would shit and piss everywhere. When you walked into the home, it would smell like piss. No lie. It was absolutely disgusting and I can't imagine how anyone can live like that tbh. They literally lived in filth. It took my father and me 2 months to fix the house up before it was suitable to live in. We ripped out every piece of carpet and put it in ourselves, which took forever b/c we both had full time jobs as well. The anger that my father and I had towards those "tenants" was immense. And guess what? All we got out of it was their security deposit, which they actually fought to keep! Anyway, I can see your side of things, I truly can. But these cats are well behaved, well mannered, well trained, not that it matters in this conversation anyway. I can feel your pain thought, is what I'm trying to say.

I am glad we found some common ground. I dont doubt for a second that you have perfectly well adjusted cats. I know they do exist and I myself would be lost without any of my animals.

I really do wish you both the best of luck, I am just playing devils advocate here.

Ken