jauslong

My Op-Ed, Let's See Yours

Today I submitted a proposed op-ed to the star ledger.  I was thinking about how many people I know advocate for more gun laws when they don't actually know what the current laws are.  That and being annoyed about waiting for my NICS check.  I'm on day 4.

Anyway.  More people should be writing these, because it seems to me like the media has not done a good job of researching this stuff on their own and people are participating in a gun control "debate" without having many facts.  The First Amendment exists partially so that the press can distribute facts.  And I've done that below.

This is what I wrote.  It's probably more moderate than a lot of the people here on the forum.  I vote Democratic on most issues, but it's my letter, so it is what it is:

Dear Op-Ed:

After Hurricane Sandy, my neighborhood, like many, was without power. Neighbors went to stay elsewhere. Police were otherwise occupied. I realized that the safety of my home had been compromised because of the chaos and lack of electricity. I made up my mind that we would not be so vulnerable when the next disaster comes. In addition to storing extra food, water and supplies, I decided to acquire a firearm and learn how to use it safely.

I was surprised to find out how long it takes to legally acquire a firearm in New Jersey, and write to share my experience with people who advocate for more gun control but are not familiar with the existing process for acquiring a firearm.

In November, I went to my local police station to apply for a firearm arm purchaser identification card (known as a FID). This card allows me to purchase rifles or shotguns, but not a handgun. I also applied for a permit to purchase a handgun. You need to apply for a separate permit for each handgun you want to buy.

This process is only to keep a firearm in my home. To carry a firearm in New Jersey, if you are not a police officer or an armored guard, forget about it. The average citizen has no chance of carrying a firearm legally in New Jersey.

My next stop was to get fingerpritned at a private facility. I did so in early December. This cost me $60 and is a necessary step in legally purchasing a firearm in New Jersey.

Two references are required to vouch for your good character. My references returned their paperwork promptly.

After frequent follow-up with local police, I received the FID and my permit to purchase in May, six months after applying for it. This permit is good for 90 days to purchase one handgun. In New Jersey, you cannot purchase more than one handgun in a 30 day period.

Once I bought the gun, it turns out there is another obstacle before I can take it home, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS. Nowadays there is a 14-18 day wait before the "instant" background check comes back from the New Jersey State Police. This is strange, since in Pennsylvania the NICS check is still somewhat instant. It is actually faster to drive out of state to buy a rifle or shotgun than it would be to wait for the NICS check in New Jersey. You cannot buy a handgun from an out-of-state seller, so I had to wait.

So, there is now a firearm sitting in my local gun shop that I own, but that I cannot take possession of until they call me next week to tell me my instant background check has come back OK. What is infuriating about the NICS check is that it necessarily comes within 90 days after I just had a background check to get the permit to purchase a handgun.

Beliefs about what is best for our country and what is best for the safety of our children are firmly held and sincere on both sides of the so-called debate on gun control. I do not wish to tell anyone what to think about this complex issue.

However, I urge everyone to understand how strict the laws are that we already have here in New Jersey before deciding whether we need more. Alternatively, I encourage legislators to come up with new ideas to make it easier for legal gun owners and harder for illegal gun owners, instead of vice versa.

Further, I hope this helps explain why many gun enthusiasts are skeptical of "quick and convenient" background checks. So far, nothing that the state of New Jersey has decided in relation to gun laws has been quick or convenient for those of us who choose to exercise our second amendment rights.

Nicely done!  Consider yourself fortunate that they will publish it.  I have written a few letters to the Bergen Record, and they have limited me to around 300 words.  I half-kiddingly suggested op-ed pieces for a couple of my lengthier efforts, but they would not even entertain that idea.

Good to see others getting our side out, as I suggested in a recent thread.  Most of the mainstream media are much better at presenting the other side.  My only suggestion to you might be to condense your piece a bit.  (They might do it for you.)  Sad to say, but the average reader does not have much of an attention span, particularly in reading a viewpoint to which they are opposed. 

Good for you!!!!  I have written many but they never seem to want to publish them.  When ever I see an anti-gun one I always post a lengthy comment refuting the "facts" that they claim.  I highly suggest that you and everyone else does the same.  I brought one to people's attention here yesterday and I think about six people here took the time to attack the points the anti made up.  We need to keep doing this stuff, because most people are clueless.  I was shocked in January when I first applied what you had to go through.  Fortunately I live in a town that does things right and got my permits in less than the statutory 30 days.  Sorry you had to wait so long.  But that said my last nics check took 18 days.