Sign in to follow this  
AlDente67

Oogling some new shotguns at Cheyenne yesterday

Currently I have a Mossy 500 Mariner 5+1 pump action.  It is a short barrel with a pistol grip.  Nothing fancy.

I was in there for some ammo, and browsing the shelves.  A few of the 12ga pump guns looked nice, with stocks and in some cases the extra shell storage on the stock.  Prices ranged all over the place.   I can't afford the Benellis right now, and they are a little too long anyway.

Does it make sense to get another Mossy 500 or something else?  I'll do a $300+ item if it is decent, but once over $500+ for a shotty, I start to wonder what I need this for, if that makes sense.

Your thoughts?

Let me answer your question with a question? Would you only buy one roll of T.P. when you go to the store?

In all seriousness, you can do so much with a 500 that owning 2 would actually make sense where you could have one set up for skeet and one setup for H.D. I had one and sold it and now I'm thinking about buying another one and possibly a second for the exact reasons I listed above.

In all seriousness, you can do so much with a 500 that owning 2 would actually make sense where you could have one set up for skeet and one setup for H.D.

I own two 500's (and a 590A1), exactly as described above.  One has a 28" barrel for trap and skeet, the other a 20" barrel for HD.  (The 590 A1 has an 18.5" barrel.)  Alternatively, you could just buy another barrel for yours; but then you would need to be switching back and forth, whereas for what they cost, it's probably easier to just have two (or more) of them.

It all depends on what you're planning on doing with the new shotgun(s).

If you just want another one for home defense, then check out a 500 with a full stock and maybe a larger shell tube or something. They have tons of different 500's set up every which way. If you wanna get the ultimate HD set up, check out the 590. They are just plain sick. Even if you don't go all out with ghost rings and everything, the regular heavy barrel 590 with 8+1 capacity is still a super nice shotgun.

Edit: If you're looking into a shotgun for clays or birds, a 500 is also a great start.