BullzeyeNJ

Strayer Voight Infinity 1911 Facelift

Sent one of my Strayer Voight Infinity 1911s out to SVI to get it tuned up. The hammer was falling to half cock and then finally went full auto on me at the range. First time for me and hopefully the last!  Instead of replacing the sear myself, I sent it back to the factory for them to work on it. I also wanted it to get re-finished and get all the RED off of it. Spoke to Brandon Strayer on the phone and we talked about different things that could be done while she was in the shop. Along with the sear being replaced a bunch of other things were done, some for function, some for cosmetics. The magwell, grip safety, and thumb safety were replaced. Trigger shoe and trigger replaced. Front cocking serrations added. Duo tone finish applied to stainless steel. Not a fan of front cocking serrations but with a full length dust cover, something was needed there.

This one is a dual caliber pistol. Shoots 45acp and 38 Super. Barrel swap, breach face swap, change ejector, extractor and firing pin and Voila...you can shoot another caliber.

I bought this one used from a fellow in Texas. He had the gun custom made for his young daughter in hopes that she would take up action shooting. The serial number is her initials and her birthday. She eventually took a liking to tennis alot more than action shooting so the dad sold me the gun. It turns out that he is a hair stylist at a shop in Texas that is owned by Brandon Strayer's mom. Small world.

SVI makes an incredible 1911. They are expensive but you have a masterpiece when all is done. Custom made to your exact specs and exceptional comms and customer service add up to a pleasing experience from start to finish. Although I ended up spending more than I wanted on this "tune up", I feel like I got a new gun back so it was worth it.

A couple photos...a before and after. The specs on the top of the slide are brass markings from shooting different types of 38 super. It cleaned off with some CLP while at the factory.

SVI1911singlestack.jpg

DPP_0002.jpg

Thanks Maks!

The grips are VZ Aliens

Over the years I have bought/sold/traded about a dozen SVI guns. Never a disappointment in the bunch. Thinking of getting a true custom from the factory brand new but I am too impatient to wait for it.

Another wicked piece from your vault. SVs are so nice. These are like the Bugatti's of 1911s. With a price tag like that, customize any which way you want to go. You can spot their barrels a mile away.

How often do these hit the market second-handed? I assume most buy to keep.

Another wicked piece from your vault. SVs are so nice. These are like the Bugatti's of 1911s. With a price tag like that, customize any which way you want to go. You can spot their barrels a mile away.

If you look around they do show up quite often. Search different forums and you never know what may pop up.

They are out there. You just have to keep looking. If I see something nice I will pass it onto you. Just acquired three 1911s in the past 48 hours. Two trades and one local gem I could not resist. I am over my limit for awhile. Got to lay low for the next couple months.

SV guns and others are mostly game guns, at least who buys them. Keep an eye out for them on Brian Enos forums and uspsa classifieds listings.

Right now demand is high, supply is low as the match season is hot under way. Typically in the fall and winter you can get some good deals.

If you want a nice custom 1911, check out Akai Custom Guns.... . Shay makes an awesome gun.

You also have Freedom Gun Works that does a nice gun too.

Thanks for the tips. I was talking to my friend about investing in a 2011. My current gear mainly slots me in Prod or SS. Was considering finally getting a Lim gun. I'm a huge fan of the 1911 FCG so it's fitting to get a 2011.

So far I like Freedom Gun Works and Cheely. Brazos would be next on the list. Somehow I just don't like Akai's version of serrations. 

I was thinking of doing a custom 2011 with 2 fitted uppers and pre-drilled and tapped receiver. One slide set would be configured for Limited while the other would be comped and configured for Open. Slap on a C-More and I'd be game for Open. I know working 2 different configurations will put double duty on the frame. Money's tight so I'd like to diversify what I can to stretch it. Maybe even find a used one and have a second slide fitted to it for a different configuration. 

Good idea?

Sorry, didn't mean to kick this post off topic.

details?

1. Traded a Para 18.9 9mm with a LDA plus cash towards a full house custom Springfield stainless 45acp built by Marianne Carniak aka The Accurizer. It's a retro style gun with all the modern upgrades. Nothing real fancy on the metal work just a no nonsense defensive carry 1911. Clean lines. Kart barrel. Still at my FFL. Took it apart yesterday and she did a wonderful job on it. Feels real good in my hands too.

2. My FFL had a Rock River 1911 at his shop that was in pristine condition. Original owner used it for light wadcutter loads for bullseye competition so minimal beating on the frame. Very impressed with the slide/frame fit on this one. Ultra smooth with that ball bearing feel. These pistols are a favorite of bullseye shooters so that tells you something about their accuracy. Rock river made great 1911s back in the day. Everything hand fit. RRA gave up on them b/c it took a lot of man hours to make a 1911 and it only takes 45 minutes to assemble an ar15. They had to change their production line in order to stay profitable. They still service their 1911s if a problem should arise.

3. Traded one of my full custom Beanland 260 Rem bolt rifles for a Nighthawk 1911 Falcon. Beauty of a rifle but I need room in the safe. Not a huge fan of Nighthawk and I have owned a few of them. Nice guns but for the money I think there are better options out there. I need one for the collection and I like the look of the Falcon. The carry cuts, one piece magwell, and ball cuts for serrations make for a unique look. I'm attracted to this Falcon b/c it was made soley by Jeff Phillips who is one of the best unknown gunsmiths walking the Earth. It's one of the last guns he made at nighthawk before he left the company. Jeff was a master gunsmith at Wilson for 17 years before leaving and starting nighthawk custom with a few other wilson smiths. Right now he is retired from making guns so that adds to the value of this piece.

Thanks for the tips. I was talking to my friend about investing in a 2011. My current gear mainly slots me in Prod or SS. Was considering finally getting a Lim gun. I'm a huge fan of the 1911 FCG so it's fitting to get a 2011.

So far I like Freedom Gun Works and Cheely. Brazos would be next on the list. Somehow I just don't like Akai's version of serrations. 

I was thinking of doing a custom 2011 with 2 fitted uppers and pre-drilled and tapped receiver. One slide set would be configured for Limited while the other would be comped and configured for Open. Slap on a C-More and I'd be game for Open. I know working 2 different configurations will put double duty on the frame. Money's tight so I'd like to diversify what I can to stretch it. Maybe even find a used one and have a second slide fitted to it for a different configuration. 

Good idea?

Hi Tim,

I love multi calibers on one handgun. I think it's a neat idea and its cheaper than buying 2 or 3 different guns. I had a svi with 2 top ends like you mentioned. One was in 38 supercomp and had a doctor red dot rear sight with a Schueman hybrid barrel that had popple holes in the barrel that acted like a comp. The second top end was in 45acp. All I had to do was change the ejector and I could shoot the other caliber. You need to switch mags of course so thats another expense. I never used it in competition just for paper punching at the range.

Maks is spot on with finding used guns on BE forum and uspsa classified ads. I got the svi in this post from a uspsa classified ad years ago. Also check gunsamerica and gunbroker on a daily basis. Good deals and gems show up occasionally as well. Some are from estate sales so the asking price is very low.

Good idea?

I have a Brazos limited and since day 1 it has run with no problems. I really like what Bobby at Freedom Gunworks is doing. Several shooters who were at the shongum match are sponsored by FGW and have some very nice guns including a dual top end limited gun in 9mm and 40s&w. I am toying with the idea of either a new gun or sending in my Brazos frame to get fitted for a 9mm top end. Also FGW and Cheely are currently working together and are offering their version of a 2011 frame which is getting great reviews. They also are planning on making a steel grip and other small parts that should be better than STI stock and cheaper.

If you have not, check out FGW dealer page on Enos.com or click on the link; http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=196

You will see tons of photos and details on what he is currently doing.