I understand the problem. I ran into the same thing 12 guns ago and still wrestle with it. :-)  In your case I would just rule out the concealed carry gun in case you get a permit. Unless you are one of those guys who finds reasons to go to PA just so they can carry a gun, you will not be carrying much and you can deal with that issue when and if you get a permit. Small carry guns are not fun for range shooting. I know as I have 8 of them and they only get shot to make sure they and I work. Not fun at all.

As far as .22's go, ammo is not so cheap anymore and hard to find around here. I have tried 6 times to like shooting a .22 but while it is fun if you live on a farm and can shoot at tin cans, etc., it is extremely boring to shoot a .22 at paper targets unless you are into precision shooting. For me it gets boring really fast and is no fun at all. I need some recoil or else I might as well be shooting a pellet gun.

With the budget you have I would suggest that you get a 1911 gun. You can get a good one with that kind of money. You already have the current military sidearm, or at least the civilian version, so might as well get what preceded it. Everyone should have a 1911 once in their life.

One other option is buying a good revolver and for a grand you can get a very good revolver. A nice S&W 686 will allow you to shoot .357, 38 spl +P and regular .38 spl loads. In this gun, recoil will be mild to moderate. Believe me, once you master a revolver trigger, any semi auto you shoot will feel like a hair trigger. :) A good revolver should be in everyone's collection. Fun to shoot for novices or experienced shooters. Plus practical too. Right now my left hand is in a brace and unable to rack a slide. Luckily I have both carry and home defense revolvers to use. What would you do if you could not use your left hand for a month? You cannot run out and buy a revolver from day one like I can. You would have to get a permit and by then the need would be over. Think about it. Fun, great trainer, good for teaching new shooters and practical. Get one and make my day. :)