NYMetsFan86

Decoding the response to "Whats my FID Status?

Mine in Jersey City took 3 months. One reference was contacted, one was not. Keep in mind, since last year, the number of requests has doubled, but its still the same two desk jockeys in the records department doing the paperwork.

IMHO, you already messed up once by not providing 10 years of addresses as the form requested, and the officer did you a favor. So you're not being jerked around, and lawyers will do nothing more than take your money.

Be patient. Stop by every other week. Be nice to the officers (learn their names). Find a range that rents or offer to pay for ammo if members here will let you shoot their guns. Add some shooting-related weight training to your workout routine. Did I mention be patient and understanding but resolute?

The wait sucks (I know) but owning firearms is a serious resbonsibility, so suck it up and be a mature adult and in a few months you'll have your ID and this will all be forgotten.

Mine in Jersey City took 3 months. One reference was contacted, one was not. Keep in mind, since last year, the number of requests has doubled, but its still the same two desk jockeys in the records department doing the paperwork.

IMHO, you already messed up once by not providing 10 years of addresses as the form requested, and the officer did you a favor. So you're not being jerked around, and lawyers will do nothing more than take your money.

Be patient. Stop by every other week. Be nice to the officers (learn their names). Find a range that rents or offer to pay for ammo if members here will let you shoot their guns. Add some shooting-related weight training to your workout routine. Did I mention be patient and understanding but resolute?

The wait sucks (I know) but owning firearms is a serious resbonsibility, so suck it up and be a mature adult and in a few months you'll have your ID and this will all be forgotten.

Appreciate the input, one of my references missed the call last week so probably be a while before they even try a second call. ...Barracks is 45 minutes away so i've been calling every couple weeks at this point and doing exactly that ^^^^, going to shoot with my reference next week. I chose him because he is a firearms instructor for his precinct and its like having a personal instructor for free

Yeah, its all you can do... I moved here after shooting for ten years and it was like WTF I can't even buy ammo?!? Plus I had to sell two ARs banned by name. But I spent the time researching and trying stuff out and took the money from my ARs and ended up with a new PTR, nice HGs and a great bolt action Savage. If an instructor is your reference, sounds like no problems but for the wait. Good luck with it all. Let us know what you get.