Sig226GuyNJ

Remington 5 1/2 small pistols primers magnum

My M&P seems to have issue with light primer strikes with these primers, however I have no issues with CCI 500 primers. Even though the CCI primers are supposed to be harder, why have I never had an issue with them but I have with the Remington 5 1/2? Is it b/c they have a harder cup?

Another question, some of my rounds are not passing the chamber check. I suspect they are brass from Glocks. I checked my resizing die and it is the same as when I first installed it. (Dillon XL650) How come the die is not resizing some of my brass?

Have you checked the primer seating depth? Do these primers go off if you strike them again?

I've only visually checked the depth, and they look ok. TBH, I don't know how to check with a caliper. Any advice would be appreciated. Last Sunday, I had 6 not go off. I put all 6 into my Sig, and the Sig only fired one of 6. So I don't think it has anything to do with a light spring or firing pin assembly.

Edit to above post since Tapatalk wont let me edit it.

I see that you're saying chamber check so I assume that's your barrel. Are these cast bullets, plated, jacketed? Could be a crimp issue, could be oal. Have you tried just seeing if the resized brass will fit before it's loaded?

To accurately check the depth you'd need a depth gauge. The fact that 1 went off the 2nd time around gives me some idea that they might not be seated deep enough. Either that or the primers are getting crushed during seating. That's why I asked about primer crimps above.

What caliber is this? Was the brass crimped? Did you swage the primer pockets?

As far as passing the gauge, just take your barrel out of the gun and use that as the gauge instead. My 45 cast loads dont pass my Lyman gauge but function flawlessy in my 1911s.

Sorry. I should've provided more info.

.40S&W. I only put a slight crimp. I do not swag primer pockets. I already use a chamber gauge or my barrel to chamber check, but got lazy and didn't do it with about 500 rounds after having no issues with the previous 3k rounds. The interesting thing is that the rounds that wouldn't fit in my M&P chamber fit in my Sig chamber. (Both .40S&W)

Edit to above post since Tapatalk wont let me edit it.

I see that you're saying chamber check so I assume that's your barrel. Are these cast bullets, plated, jacketed? Could be a crimp issue, could be oal. Have you tried just seeing if the resized brass will fit before it's loaded?

To accurately check the depth you'd need a depth gauge. The fact that 1 went off the 2nd time around gives me some idea that they might not be seated deep enough. Either that or the primers are getting crushed during seating. That's why I asked about primer crimps above.

Hmmm. I wonder what has changed b/c I have not changed anything on the press and try to stay as consistent as possible when seating the primer. The bullets are copper plated.

EDIT: Oh, you meant primer crimp. No, I do not primer crimp.

OAL is 1.12. Sometimes a hair shorter, sometimes a hair longer. Not enough discrepancy to worry about.

It's the same brass you've used before? Brass varies by headstamp and even by lot.

You as a reloader cannot put a crimp in the primer, but some ammo for military/le has the primers crimped in place. It makes the primer pocket really tight and needs to be swaged or cut before reloading.

We really need more measurements before trying to guess. There's two different issues going on.

Right now, I would take a few cases and resize them and see if they drop into your chamber. If they do, they're being resized correctly. Then the issue is likely oal or crimp(of bullet).

The primer issue might be crushed or mutilated primers caused by crimped primer pockets or just brass with really tight pockets. Could also be seating depth. Could you post a few pictures of headstamp area of the rounds that didnt go off?

It's the same brass you've used before? Brass varies by headstamp and even by lot.

You as a reloader cannot put a crimp in the primer, but some ammo for military/le has the primers crimped in place. It makes the primer pocket really tight and needs to be swaged or cut before reloading.

We really need more measurements before trying to guess. There's two different issues going on.

Right now, I would take a few cases and resize them and see if they drop into your chamber. If they do, they're being resized correctly. Then the issue is likely oal or crimp(of bullet).

The primer issue might be crushed or mutilated primers caused by crimped primer pockets or just brass with really tight pockets. Could also be seating depth. Could you post a few pictures of headstamp area of the rounds that didnt go off?

I'll take pics tonight. Thanks for your help mikey!

2013-07-25_09-24-56_90.jpg

2013-07-25_09-25-05_973.jpg

So it's obvious after looking at the pics, that I haven't been as consistent with the primer seating as I thought I was. But the two cartridges to the left, look to be perfect. The 3rd is a little too deep, 4th and 5th not seated deep enough. But what happened to the 6th one? Help a noob out please. I think I'm going to do what alec did and build something to get a more consistent primer seat.