denisl

Which M1 Garand

I'm looking to buy a M1 Garand from CMP.

Any recommendations on which type of M1 to buy?

I'm looking at either the RM1HRASSP which is their "Service Grade HRA Special" for $950 or the RM1SPECIAL which is "CMP Special" for $995.

Here are the descriptions:

RM1HRASSP 

M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA (Harrington & Richardson) Special.

Allow 60-120 days for delivery.
HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture.NOT original HRA manufacture.

RM1SPECIAL 

M1 Garand, CMP Special (.30-06)

Allow 120-180 days for delivery.
M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

Thanks for any guidance.

Accuracy in a stock Garand is a crapshoot. Almost all of them are not tack drivers. Keep in mind 3" at 100yds is acceptable in a brand new Garand for issue to troops. The best shooting Garand I have is a field grade with a VAR barrel and a lot of Beretta parts. That will shoot under 2" @ 100 with Greek ammo.

I intend to get a RM1 Special. You can't bring a SG Special to the same spec for $45.

If you want the chance of better accuracy, get the CMP Special as I hear the criterion barrels they use are excellent quality. If you want something that might be collectible buy the HRA Service Grade Special as all the (metal) parts are collector grade, all you need to do replace the New Production stock with an original HRA stock and down the road at some point your rifle might be of more interest to collectors than a service grade or Special grade.

OK - HRA it is.  I like the history in the service grade also.

One more question -

My Dad is a vietnam vet and over 60yrs of age (either of which appear to meet CMP eligibility requirements).  I am neither and do not currently meet any of the CMP eligibility requirements.

Can my Dad buy the M1 and gift it to me?  Do we need to file any paperwork or pay FFL xfer fees between us? We both live in Monmouth county, different towns.

OK - HRA it is.  I like the history in the service grade also.

One more question -

My Dad is a vietnam vet and over 60yrs of age (either of which appear to meet CMP eligibility requirements).  I am neither and do not currently meet any of the CMP eligibility requirements.

Can my Dad buy the M1 and gift it to me?  Do we need to file any paperwork or pay FFL xfer fees between us? We both live in Monmouth county, different towns.

Do you have a valid FID? Are you a member of a sanctioned range? If yes to both, you meet the criteria.  

If you have a FID, but are not a member of one of their sanctioned ranges then he can do the transfer to you after buying it although legally that may be a gray area and considered a straw purchase by some.  

As far as a transfer goes, it's just 2 copies of the COE and you're done.  There's no paperwork to file.

I'm not a member of any range yet, my FID card is just about a month old.  OBRPC is close to home and I've shot there a couple of times at their outdoor range with some friends so I'll likely be applying for membership this month.  As of right now all I have is a FID card.  Eligibility at CMP also requires proof of participation in a marksmanship event - which I have yet to do.  So I either wait a month to get all my ducks in a row or convince my Dad to get one.

of all the garands I have, HRA seemed to shoot the best. they are the newest, the most updated ....it was alleged that HRA made the best Garand but I suspect that would depend on who you spoke with 

You cannot go wrong with the HRA service grade special from CMP. They are beautiful....Dupage also has nice ones