Sign in to follow this  
Rob0115

.460 Rowland

I was at Woodland Park Range Monday afternoon and I could here cannon fire from a few ports away.  The guy was shooting a .460 Rowland converted Sig 1911.  I have run into the fellow a few times and chatted about loadings for .300 blackout when we were at the rifle range working through our respective test loads on the guns.  Anyway, he insists that I fire the gun.  I'm always hesitant to try someone else's gun (although I always let people try mine).  So I fire it, it makes that best bang I've ever heard, it's drop dead accurate and it recoils very lightly.  The compensator is fantastic on it.

Anyone have any experience here?  I'm ordering the kit for my soon to be picked up Sig Nightmare.

Oh, and i the guy is on the forum thanks for letting me fire the gun and I'm annoyed that you are making me spend 300 bucks because I enjoyed myself so much.

Any insights as always appreciated.  

Having shot it out if the 1911 I can only say awesome. Really like a light weight 44 mag just as advertised. I ordered 500 pieces of new starline brass for it. Uses 45 ACP projectiles and dies.

You can get it direct at 460rowland,com. There is a video on the install. It's a drop in for 1911 5 inch, glock 22 or springfield xD.

I think I'm going to send them an email. I have a stainless Sig 1911 and in the FAQ they say

"If the Kimber is stainless, then I would definitely go with the Colt and its carbon steel slide– blued or carbon steel is a better material for auto guns in general. (note: there is not a single stainless steel first line military weapon in use. Stainless steel is fine for barrels and revolvers, but sometimes gives reliability issues when stainless steel parts rub against each other as in a stainless slide on a stainless frame; the blued slide on a stainless frame should be fine.)"

Anyone have any input on this?

I'm having a gun built by fusion firearms and who thought that wasn't correct.

I didn't quite get what he said be he mentioned stainless be treated the same and being a non-issue. I've also seen other stsinless conversions done one the internet.

The gun I shot was a Sig, I think it was a nightmare, and they are stainless melonited.

I'm having a gun built by fusion firearms and who thought that wasn't correct.

I didn't quite get what he said be he mentioned stainless be treated the same and being a non-issue. I've also seen other stsinless conversions done one the internet.

The gun I shot was a Sig, I think it was a nightmare, and they are stainless melonited.

Just checked out the installation video on their site. They give you a 20 and 24lb. spring. He says the 24 is better in the carbon steel and the 20 is better for the stainless steel slide. That answers the question I was going to ask them. I guess it's an early Christmas present to myself.

I ordered the 460 kit from Clark Custom Guns. I have just officially given up on trying to install this thing. I can get it into the slide but I can't get the slide back on the frame to the point of installing the slide stop. Oh the frustration! I think I am just going to have to send it to Clark and have them do it for $20. I'm just not sure if they would have to send it to an FFL to transfer ($)  it back to me. If that's the case I just assume have it done locally. Anyone else run into problems?

I believe it can be checked in to an FFL as Gunsmithing not requiring a permit. Or direct back and forth. I had to send my springfield xds in for a recall and it will be returned directly to me because the serial number didn't change. Adult signature required.

So I've had my .460 kit for a bit and finally got around to installing into the Sig Nightmare I bought originally for this purpose.  The kit should be a drop in but the barrel retainer was so tight I needed to do a bit of delicate filing.  The process took two hours because I didn't want to file too much so it was a little filing, a test fit, more filing, a test fit, you get it.  

Since the Sig is melonited stainless I used the 20 lb spring and because of the two piece guide rod is a b!tch to install.  I watched the videos and tried to replicate the technique for installation but it took a few tries.  Because of an injury to my face I wore safety glasses and it was a good think as the guide rod shot out once and hit them.  

I wanted to do this last week but for a slip and fall that caused me to have some surgery on my eyelid (nasty business) but I was happy to get out of the house yesterday and try it out.

I loaded up 20 rounds of fresh starline brass, 230gr FMJ (I'd love to find something heavier), CCI 300 LPP and 14.2gr AA #7 powder (lower end of the charge weights).  I got to Woodland Park, and it was amazing.  Very accurate, controllable and just a blast to shoot, I was really enjoying it.  I could stay long because of the injury and concussive blasts were hurting my face.  

I'm loading a bunch more at 17.4 and will experiment with 17.8 (max charge weight from what I've red is 18.6 so still pretty safe.

For anyone who is remotely thinking about this do some research and you won't regret it.  

Merry Xmas.