jto966

? Winchester 30-30

I can't see your attachments. 

I have seen mint condition Win94's from the mid 1960's go for $1,000 and higher. 

Are you looking for a collector's piece or a shooter?  If you are looking for a shooter, there is no reason to pay more than $600 for an excellent condition Win94 with a couple of love marks on it. 

Both sellers are looking for about $450 - $500.  Just not sure if anything changed from the 60's to the 80's.

Not sure why the attachments are not working.  I'm going to look at the one made in the mid 80's tomorrow.

Edit:  I believe they were shooters but not very often.. definitely not show pieces 

I would not expect to see a huge difference in function.  As a rule, the newer the mfg date the lower the material quality, but both rifles were made before the Winchester quality collapse in the 1990s. 

Those prices sound very fair for excellent-to-mint condition.  If it were not for the fact that I am still on probation with my wife from my buying binge last winter, I would be seriously tempted to add another Model 1894 to my collection. 

There are pre-64 forged & milled parts Winchester's, post-64 Winchester's, 70-'s era Winchester's, cross-bolt safety Winchester's, AngleEject (AE) Winchester's and Japanese Winchester's. Hence the reason for why prices are all over the place.

Tks junkmanted

Parker, if the mfg year was what I said above 66/67 or 89 (just confirmed) is one more desirable than the other?

I'm trying to research but a lot of info to consume

How does one choose?

Pick the one YOU like the best. They both look like good shooters. Winchester purists frowned on the early post-64 guns, some said metal was poorly done, wouldn't hold a good blue, stamped parts, poor fit and finish, "blah" wood, etc. Winchester "got it" after that and the 80's guns were a little better received.

If you are buying them to shoot, you will not see much of a functional difference.  They both appear to be 90-to-95%.  Everything else being equal, I would go with '89. 

I'll second what Parker said about holding the blue.  I bought and refinished a '73 about 3 years ago.  The bluing is already starting to fade.  But it is not worth the cost to have it stripped and hot blued.  It's a shooter, so I just shoot it.  The kids love it. 

So I went to look at the Winchester today. You would almost think it was brand new. The "only" pitting it you would even call it that was on the lever. The stock and rest of the rifle was like new "mirror finish.

$400 oh and the serial number began with 34 which means 1966 right?

So I went to look at the Winchester today. You would almost think it was brand new. The "only" pitting it you would even call it that was on the lever. The stock and rest of the rifle was like new "mirror finish.

$400 oh and the serial number began with 34 which means 1966 right?

There is a website that will tell you the month and year it was manufactured.  Google it. 

Thanks Parker I ended up finding the same site the only problem is I only recall the first two numbers of the serial. My understanding is you need the full number to get the accurate model year.

Thanks Parker I ended up finding the same site the only problem is I only recall the first two numbers of the serial. My understanding is you need the full number to get the accurate model year.

Anything that starts with "44" is a 1976 or 1977 build. It's not a "1966" as the seller claims.