joev65

Gun Permit with Brandishing Firearm Misdemeanor?

Glad I found this forum.  I am looking to receive a permit from NJ to purchase handgun for safety at my home business.  About 17 years ago I received a misdemeanor in Virginia for Brandishing a firearm.  What are my chances of getting denied if I apply in NJ? 

I am unsure how states share info.  So it's possible they will not know about it.  But one of the questions on the form is asking?

Have you ever had a firearms purchaser identification card, permit to purchase a handgun, permit to carry a handgun or any oth
er firearms license or
application refused or revoked in New Jersey or any other state? If yes, explain.

Most likely they will find out about it. I know a guy who got charged in the military, by the military, with underage drinking, his punishment amounted to a week of litter patrol. When he applied for his FPID, his town's PD found out about it and asked him about it. He still got his FPID no problem.

Make sure you don't lie on the form! what ever it asks be honest. Even if you make an honest mistake and they catch it they will prosecute you for falsifying a state document. And yes they look at your juvenile record as well. My brother-in-law was charged with falsifying a state document because he shoplifted at 15 years old and was ajudicated a juvenile delinquent. He checked NO on that question. Cost a lot of $ in lawyers to clear that problem up. Best bet is to have your adult and juvenile records expunged and sealed before applying. You can do that yourself without a lawyer if you've got the time to figure out the paperwork process. But probably easier to pay a lawyer to do it for you. Have them fill out your FID card application with you too, worth the money not to catch a bogus charge for a simple error.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

NICS catches nearly 100% of disqualifying convictions that apply to any state, anywhere, nationwide. It's not greater than 99% (out of my ass number), but the fact that it was from another state does not improve your chances in the current state of qualification/purchase.