Sign in to follow this  
vladtepes

AR 308 ammo recommendation

OK.. so I want to really work on my 308 shooting..  but I think I have to make some changes.. the gun runs solid at 100 yards but the ammo I was using is not all that available so I may need to change that.... and thus may have to dial the gun back in...

I was using 165gr Hornady TAP Barrier ammo....

I was getting great tight groups at 100...

I am going to stretch out to 300 yards..

ammo suggestion?

also recommendations on where to 0 0-100 that will translate to minimal adjustments at 300...

these were the results I was seeing at 100... 

111420101.jpg

Nice 4 shot hole!

With the current less-than-wonderful availability (and pricing) of a wide range of quality factory ammo in .308win, you'd be much better off rolling your own and tailoring the ammo (through load development) to your particular rifle after you decide what the goal of that 2500+fps projectile is. Punching paper? Knocking down steel animal silhouettes? Taking out zombie hordes before they reach your street?

Otherwise, pick up a box of every different kind of .308 ammo you can get and see how they fly at 300yds. You might get lucky and find something your gun likes. Or not.

I have been using hand loaded Sierra 175's out of my 16" OBR. The muzzle velocity is around 2400+ fps. With a 100 yard zero, my bullet drops just under 17 inches at 300.  Federal Gold Medal in 175's was giving me the same performance as my hand loads. Out to 300 yards 168's will give you a little better performance, out past that is where the 175's start to shine. I went with the 175's cause I only wanted to develop one load and stick with it. By the way the barrel of my OBR is 1 in 11.25 twist, so you will need to take that into account.