Sign in to follow this  
DeerSlayer

Head space gauges for 7.62x54r

Can anyone recommend a good brand of headspace gauges for my Mosin? Also do I need all three (go,no-go, field) or should I just buy the field gauge? I found a set by Okie? I believe, are certain brands or styles better than others?

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Generally, you shouldn't need to check the headspace on a mosin unless you have reason to believe it is out of spec. If the bolt number matches the rifle serial I wouldnt worry about it. That being said the safe thing to do would be to check it before firing.

Okie is very convenient, even I was able to use it. As per their website they recommend that a Go gauge is only really needed when "This size is most often used when re-barreling or re-chambering a firearm." So i didn't bother with that. then getting down to no-go and field they are basically the same thing but no-go is just more strict. if a gun fails the no-go test it COULD still be safe to use the surplus ammo (and who really doesn't use the spam can ammo anyway its so cheap) assuming it still passes the field gauge test. that being said I figured being extra safe and strict is probably for the better so i went for the no-go and only the no-go. used it when I went and got my first mosin and although i haven't fired it yet i don't expect the bolt to go through my skull when I finally get around to it.

I removed the serial number matching stock bolt for a bent bolt I ordered. Since its a different bolt than the gun came with I just wanted to check it to be sure. I usually shoot the spam can ammo but I have bought a few boxes of the non corrosive as well if the price was right. I appreciate all the info thanks.

The mosin does not headspace from the bolt body just the bolt head.  If you just put in a new bolt body with a bent handle you are good, if it is a complete bolt assembly take the bolt head from your old bolt and put it on the new one and you are good.  no big issue here. 

Complete bolt assembly is what I got. I could change the bolt head if necessary, thats pretty easy to do. I ordered all three gauges from Okie. So I'll check it when i get them. Thanks again for the info.