Sign in to follow this  
maintenanceguy

My Home-Built Mosin Scope Mount

Mosins don't come with any provision for mounting a scope - unless you spend $500 on a sniper.  Even then, you're stuck with the 1940's scope that comes with it.

There are a couple of after-marked scope mounts that I didn't like. One is a cantiliever mount that requires drilling and tapping the barrel and one replaces the rear sight and requires a scout type - long eye relief scope. 

I wanted to mount a regular scope in the normal position so I came up with this.

It's just a piece of 90º angle with a groove milled to fit on the round receiver.  I also had to replace the original bolt handle with a bent bolt handle to make room for the scope so I drilled off the old handle and welded a 5/16 grade 8 bolt in the saddle left by the drill bit.  I then drilled the original ball knob and welded that on the end of the 5/16 bolt.

gf-mosin-full.jpg

gf-mosin-rear.jpg

gf-mosin-side.jpg

I actually had a machine shop mill the groove for me.  I have one piece of the milled angle left but I'm holding onto it.  I'm toying with the idea of mounting the scope a little more forward and that would require making a second mount.

I'd never get a stripper clip in there now but I can still load from the top.  I never considered loading from the bottom.

I did drill the receiver.  Three 1/4-28 tapped holes in the receiver and four #6-48 tapped holes in the scope mount for the scope base.  This was actually the most difficult part for me.  I figure that with a 4" scope base (approximately) if I'm off by .001" on one end of the base, that's 1" at 100 yds.  The scope has a limited adjustment range so I wanted to be as parallel to the barrel as possible both up and down and left and right.  It took a lot of redneck engineering and I ended up off by 8" at 100 yds with my scopes windage and elevation adjustments  set to the center of it's adjustment range.    I was quite happy with that.

Here's the bent bolt

gf-mosin-bolt.jpg