zoid

How much does a loose choke affect performance?

I noticed my Rem Choke on my 870 was sticking out about 1/16".  I had to give it a couple turns to tighten it back in.

Was probably shooting like that for the last few boxes.  How much would this affect the pattern of the shot?  

I missed a lot more the other day and am looking for a convenient excuse to blame my equipment.  Thanks.

i'd say your more likely to ruin the choke and the threads in you gun then affect your shooting.

Yeah I'm sure it can't be too good.  But the choke looked fine when I took it out and seemed to thread in OK as well.

It might make a minimal difference, but firing with a loose choke tube allows powder and gases to infiltrate into the threads since the choke isn't fully seated and there is no "seal" against the shoulder. Plastic wads do hide a lot of patterning sins, but plastic wad buildup is one of the byproducts. Make sure you clean that area (shoulder and threads) out thoroughly before you reseat your choke tube. Use a good choke tube lube on the choke tube threads.

One of the benefits of extended choke tubes with knurled ends is you can check them occasionally and tighten with your fingers. A wrench is still the best and if done properly, they will never come loose.

I have seen some RemChokes come loose with extended shooting. I have not experienced that with Beretta's Mobil-Chokes or Browning's Invector-Plus. There is a lot to be said for the simplicity of the old fixed-chokes Nothing to worry about as long as you knew the limitations of the choke you were using.