Sign in to follow this  
Njbanshee

Vietnam bring back

I was on gun broker the other day and noticed a m44 with a buy it now of $100. And as a kicker it was around the corner from my house. Couple clicks and I bought it. I get the phone call and 45 min. Later I'm looking it over. I turned out to be a type 53. I didn't even say anything, cause for $100 I'd take that too. I show it to a friend and points out no import marks. Looks like I might have a Vietnam bring back. It has the 26 in a triangle, and was made in 1960. I know, I will post pics tomorrow.

I was on gun broker the other day and noticed a m44 with a buy it now of $100. And as a kicker it was around the corner from my house. Couple clicks and I bought it. I get the phone call and 45 min. Later I'm looking it over. I turned out to be a type 53. I didn't even say anything, cause for $100 I'd take that too. I show it to a friend and points out no import marks. Looks like I might have a Vietnam bring back. It has the 26 in a triangle, and was made in 1960. I know, I will post pics tomorrow.

It could be a bringback but there is no real way to prove it is a bringback if it doesn't have one of the three papers with it.

I understand that it's not 100% Vietnam bring back. It doesn't have the papers, but it "could" be. If it wasn't Vietnam it could have been in A number of other conflicts. It could have been in multiple. The unknown factor is cool to me. That is why I said, I wish it could talk. If you think about what this rifle has been through and where it's been is amazing. The possibilities are endless. On top of that, the bolt is smooth and fast, and the trigger is scary light.

Did you check the underside of the barrel near the muzzle for import marks? A lot of early imports were marked there with small hard to read lettering before the ATF stopped allowing that.

If it's in really nice, rearsenaled condition, it's probably not a bring back. If it's been beat or has decent wear on it, without import marks, it very well could be.

I have a MAS 36 that is not referbed and not import marked that I suspect may also be a Vietnam bring back, but have no way to know for sure.

The under barrel import mark is by far the most desirable when it comes to Mosin Nagants rifles. I have a SVT 40 that is a mismatch with no import or Sa marks. Is it a WW2 bring back? I think it could be but it is probably a Finnish capture that was not marked,

Just so you can get the full story, here are the pictures from the gunbroker add. The stain was just slopped on. It was just such a shame. I cleaned off the stain and couldn't be happier with what I found underneath it. I think the stocks natural wood is beautiful. I haven't seen many blonde stocks on these rifles.

post-5664-0-65021400-1389459087_thumb.jpgpost-5664-0-15991700-1389459098_thumb.jpgpost-5664-0-31944900-1389459111_thumb.jpg

For 100 bucks, you would have regretted not picking it up haha.

Although I never suggest refinishing milsurps, I would have chose one with a better bore if I was going through the refinishing process. But who knows, you could clean it up a bit and it could shoot pretty good. Or it could shoot like shit. And if so, it'll turn into a future wall-hanger.

As long as your happy with it, that's all that counts!