Scorpio64

Looking for a Cadillac Mechanic in Monmouth

I own a 1994 Cadillac Deville Concours 4.6L N* LD8.  This car means very much to me as it was my father's car.   He left it to me just before he passed away seven years ago. It was his pride and joy.  I have tried to keep the car in good condition as best I can, performing some work myself and having the major repairs done by "professional" mechanics.  If I told you how much I've spent on keeping this car on the road, I'd be embarrassed.  Not so much for having put the money in it, but for having put my faith in mechanics who really don't know how to work on this car.

This is my last ditch effort to find a reputable mechanic, currently working or retired, capable of doing the work I need done at a reasonable price.  The following is a list of major work that needs to be done.  There are other minor issues which need to be addressed as well but they can wait.

* Major tune-up - Starts and idles rough when cold.  Bucks at 45-50 mph then smooths out at 60+.  Taps like an Irish river dancer.  Idle's smooth when warm but sometimes stalls if the A/C is operating.

* Suspension - shocks (possibly struts) rattles going over rough road, control arm bushings are starting to rot and alignment needs adjustment (pulls to the right).

* Transmission - At 4 MPH (in forward or reverse) It makes a soft ratcheting sound, this only occurs the first time I put it in gear after start-up.  Other than that no complaints.

* Exhaust - leaking from behind the cat and mufflers need to be replaced.

* Cooling - There is a very slow leak.  I have to add about a half gallon every two to three months.  I can smell the coolant from time to time.

I will supply the parts and pay you in cash for the labor.  I live in the Eatontown area.  The work does not need to be done fast or all at once, it needs to be done right.  I'm very handy and am willing to pitch in if you think I will not be in the way.

Just to be clear.  This is not a request for a quote from a shop.  I'm looking for someone with a strong work ethic who is an expert with my particular car, preferably retired, who is looking to make some extra cash on the side.  Someone who's primary interest is more about helping me prevent my father's keepsake from going into the crusher and being shipped off to China as scrap and not so much about buying a 72" big screen ( or two boxes of .22LR :) ).  As I mentioned, this is my last ditch effort.  My wife has had it up to here with me and this car.  If I spend another dime on this car and it's not done right.  She's gonna be pissed.  If you though Dr. Bruce Banner turned into a monster when he gets mad, you should see my old lady.  On second thought, no......  you don't want to see that.

Mods:  If this is the wrong place to post, my apologies.  Please move to appropriate thread.

Run an oil sample through Blackstone Labs. They can tell you if there is coolant in the oil. If there is, scrap the car.

Google Northstar V8 head gasket problems. You'll get nauseous. The head bolt threads in the block fail and the correct fix is to I stall timeserts. If you do it yourself it will probably cost you better than $600. A mechanic will probably charge you 4 times that. Or more.

Some say the problem does not affect the earlier cars, others say they all are susceptible. Figure this issue out before you put any other money in the car. I know it has sentimental value, but you don't want this to become a bigger money put than it already is.

Good luck.

Run an oil sample through Blackstone Labs. They can tell you if there is coolant in the oil. If there is, scrap the car.

Google Northstar V8 head gasket problems. You'll get nauseous. The head bolt threads in the block fail and the correct fix is to I stall timeserts. If you do it yourself it will probably cost you better than $600. A mechanic will probably charge you 4 times that. Or more.

Some say the problem does not affect the earlier cars, others say they all are susceptible. Figure this issue out before you put any other money in the car. I know it has sentimental value, but you don't want this to become a bigger money put than it already is.

Good luck.

+1... those Northstar engines are notorious for the head bolt thread failures, however, i'm not exactly sure what year engines would be part of this issue.