Sign in to follow this  
JayWilling

Independence 5.56/ .223

Awhile back I found this Independence 5.56 for a decent price and bought 1K rounds. I had bought some of their 45 acp at a gun show and it was ok for practice.  I ended up with a jamb that I couldn't even get my AR apart so I took it to my smith. He straightened everything out and when I took it to the range next i sighted it in with some Remington rounds and all was fine. Then I tried the Independence in two different types of mags and it wouldn't feed after the first shot.

I went online and saw some complaints, and it looks like it's underloaded- doesn't have enough balls to cycle the gun properly.

So... I guess I could use it 1 round at a time just for target shooting...I'd like to get the brass because I have about 600 casings now and I plan to start reloading 223, and you can never have enough brass.. One idea I had was to pick up some kind of cheaper bolt action .223 but the wife gave me "the look" so that's out. I guess I could sell the stuff but I would never try to sell it without telling people what I think about it.

It came in 2 boxes of 500 and it's possible the second box is from a different run , but highly unlikely.

Anybody have any other ideas? Get a lighter recoil spring?

Shoot it and see how it cycles in YOUR gun. Don't worry about with the internet says. If you have issues with it personally then look into a contingency plan. Plenty of folks shoot it with no problems.

C

Shoot it and see how it cycles in YOUR gun. Don't worry about with the internet says. If you have issues with it personally then look into a contingency plan. Plenty of folks shoot it with no problems.

C

Didn't he state it was his gun? Always read the reviews first brother then ask questions

Yes I fired it through my own gun and then YES I read reviews that stated a mixed bag of reports ranging from "No problem at all" to "Can't get two rounds in a row to fire".....which is my problem. The consensus was that some batches seem to come out under powered. Don't know if that's really the case or not, but I know I can shoot Remington and even Wolf steel crap with no problems, until I try to use the Independence.

I'm fishing around for ideas on how to use it up without driving myself nuts.

My AR is 5.56 and it is sloppy juicy. What I end up with is the spent casing stuck between the bolt and chamberl with a new round off the mag and partially brought up to chamber. Looks to me like there's not enough blow back to cycle properly. But if I throw some other brand through it it runs like a champ.

What you're describing is a stovepipe. There is not enough pressure to cycle the bolt carrier all the way back. If this is the only ammo doing this, it's likely to be the problem. It's likely under-charged. Also, your AR should not be "sloppy juicy".

What you're describing is a stovepipe. There is not enough pressure to cycle the bolt carrier all the way back. If this is the only ammo doing this, it's likely to be the problem. It's likely under-charged. Also, your AR should not be "sloppy juicy".

Yep...stovepiping, but only with that ammo so it's a bit on the obvious side. Also, by sloppy juicy to me means you can see lube...it's not an invisible coating.

Smokeater...compared to shooting all those rounds one-at-a-time maybe that's not such a crazy idea. A lot of work, though.