Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

Chiappa M4 vs Spike ST-22 dedicated upper range report

I took my brand new Chiappe M4 .22LR and my Spikes ST-22. To the range this morning.

I put 250 round of Remington 22 Viper thru them...

I was amazed with both uppers and the Ammo.

NOT A SINGLE MISFIRE!!!

I expect a break in period with the Chiappa M-4..... Work straight out of the box... Just put a health spray of lube Oil and went to work putting holes in paper. The accuracy was as good as my spikes ST-22... Or let me just say I could not shoot either well enough to see a difference.

The Spikes ST-22 has about 1500 rounds life time and she runs about 98%. Meaning every second to third magazine I will get one failure to extract or failure to load, ect..

Perhaps I hit on the right type ammunition... the Remington 22 Viper uses a Truncated nose shape bullet and is 1440 Fps at the muzzle.. I never used it before... But will try to find another source for it ASAP. Very impressed...

The build quality on the Spikes is far superior...

Posted Image

Spikes is on the right.

Posted Image

Spikes bolt on the right and has the Barrel collar attached.

The Chiappa mates up without a collar.

Posted Image

Bolt Face, again Spikes is on the right.

The Spike ST-22 is a no compromises solution as are many other high end dedicated uppers. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this or any other $600 -$800 .22lr upper.

Moving down the later CMMG has a decent system for what I read for under $500.

Now at the Bottom is the $239 Chiappa ( available at centerlfiresystems.com). The reviews are mix but I gotta tell you I had a high end and a low end upper side by side this morning at the range and it was impossible to tell the difference, function, accurate and aesthetics we are equal.

I'm sure the polymer upper receiver will break before the spikes aluminum one but I may never put enough rounds thru either to see them fail.

With the price of ammo I say buy. Chiappa now instead of waiting.. Eventually you could swap in a cheap stripped aluminum upper if it really bothers you.

I prefer using a really AR-15 lower and being able to swap parts around between all my AR systems.