Sign in to follow this  
supranatural

Background check for FID

When I applied for (and received 7 weeks later) my FID, the form stated that I would get a fingerprinting (done of course) and 2 references checked, but the form also stated that I had to do a background check sometime in the next 2 years.  Is there a form for that or is that the NICs check they are referring to?

I went in for FID address change. They changed the process- instead of giving them a check($18)- the background check is done online now:

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CriminalRecords

You pay $20 and get a receipt that you submit with your paperwork to your local police dept. I just had to pay for pistol permits $2 per permit.

When I applied for (and received 7 weeks later) my FID, the form stated that I would get a fingerprinting (done of course) and 2 references checked, but the form also stated that I had to do a background check sometime in the next 2 years.  Is there a form for that or is that the NICs check they are referring to?

Did the form say it is a REQUIREMENT you have an additional background check, even if you do not apply for anything like pistol permits?  Normally, once you have the FID, you're good.  The only times you typically need to do anything else is if you apply for a replacement FID (like change of address) or when you get more pistol permits.  There is no requirement for additional background checks after 2 years (except of course the standard NICS at point of sale from an FFL) for holding an FID.  NJ CCW might, but since no one has one, that is irrelevant.

I went in for FID address change. They changed the process- instead of giving them a check($18)- the background check is done online now:

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/CriminalRecords

You pay $20 and get a receipt that you submit with your paperwork to your local police dept. I just had to pay for pistol permits $2 per permit.

Not all departments have migrated to this as of yet, so some towns can only use paperwork at this point.  You can always check with your department beforehand so you don't waste money on a money order for nothing...

The background check is done by state police, you should have given a money order for $18 to cover it.

They never asked for it, this is what they have on the township website:

Subsequent Application for Similar Permits:

1. Within two (2) years of the initial application, applicant must submit to a Criminal History Name Check (SBI212A form).  A money order in the amount of $18.00 must be made out to the New Jersey Division of State Police (SBI).

2. Over two (2) years, applicant must follow Initial Application Procedures.  

Applicants may apply Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.