maintenanceguy

Gun Registration in Venezuela

Interesting article and video about gun control in Venezuela and the results.  Started in '98 with registration.  Then an "amnesty" period in 2012 when you could turn them in.   And of course, we know what's happening in Venezuela now. 

Video by Gabby Franco, Venezuelan Olympic shooter who became an American citizen.  She says that the biggest mistake Venezuelans made was believing it couldn't happen there.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/04/venezuela-banned-guns-lets-not-follow-their-example.php

Nobody ever believes something like that can happen.  Until it does.  I must confess to not knowing about the disarmament of the citizens in Venezuela.

It's good to know of another example of where registration preceded confiscation, to use against our foes.

I was talking with my dad about this. I am from Trinidad and I am no stranger to Venezuela. The whole of the South American continent has strict gun control yet gun control is completely out of control. It has even spilled over into Trinidad where the drug lords are importing guns en masse and there are literally tons of illegal guns, and people are sometimes just going up to people and shooting them in broad daylight. 

I was talking with my dad about this. I am from Trinidad and I am no stranger to Venezuela. The whole of the South American continent has strict gun control yet gun control is completely out of control. It has even spilled over into Trinidad where the drug lords are importing guns en masse and there are literally tons of illegal guns, and people are sometimes just going up to people and shooting them in broad daylight. 

I still have friends and family in TT and Guyana, and visited Caracas on numerous occasions in my youth. All countries with overly strict gun laws and registration and all where the criminal element rule the streets with their illegal guns...In essence holding law abiding residents hostage simply because to buy,own and carry a legal firearm in the vast majority of the Caribbean and Latin America is next to impossible.

Venezuela's attempt at registration legal firearms is stereotypical of a government who sees the writing on the wall and wishes to limit a armed coup by it's beleaguered citizens.

Just a matter of time IMHO......