As all NRA members already know, they have been emailing NJ members with alerts regarding S993. 

Their latest alert (similar to previous alerts regarding this bill) is:

- - - - 

"Today, the Senate Law and Public Safety Committee passed Senate Bill 993 today on a party line 3 to 2 vote.  As previously reported, S.993 seeks to restrict the maximum capacity of ammunition magazines from 15 to 10 rounds and ban certain popular firearms.  Under the guise of public safety, anti-gun politicians continue their efforts to erode the Second Amendment rights of New Jersey residents.  New Jersey is one of only a few states which already has a magazine restriction, and another arbitrary limit will have no impact on crime or criminals.  Instead, this legislation demonstrably favors criminals who prefer to prey on unarmed victims". 

- - - - 

I've read the bill (with a layman's comprehension of deciphering lawyer-speak), and I've scoured the internet, but I can't seem to find which certain popular firearms will be banned by passage of this bill. 

I'm assuming (correctly?) that it would actually apply only to firearms with fixed magazines exceeding 10 rounds. So if so, what "popular" firearms would that entail? 

(and btw, when I say "only", it's not my intention to minimize the impact of banning any firearms. I use it here only for purposes of clarity)

I'm all for firing-up the base, since this latest attack on the 2nd Amendment is an extremely serious affair. But is the "ban certain popular firearms" part of this message being used disingenuously?

I say that because I've now been hearing rumors that AR's will be banned by this bill - although I haven't seen anything that would suggest that to be the case. But this is what happens when ambiguous information is spilled onto the street; people panic, they assume, they spread rumors.... and the facts are left in the dust.

Obviously it suits the NRA's agenda for people to assume the worst (and I'm not judging them for doing so; one step leads to the next with this anti-2A crap, so thank God for the NRA's efforts), but I would like to be responsibly informed about this latest bill - especially since it contains issues of criminality for those affected by it.

So.... can anyone responsibly detail which "popular firearms" would actually be affected by this bill? 

I've "heard" that BB guns are affected (tube-fed), but is that true?? I have no idea. All I hear is speculation. 

I'd be pissed if they designated my stupid little BB gun to be illegal, but is that actually an affected "firearm" according to this bill? 

It seems that the assumptions outweigh the facts regarding this bill. But I'd love to know the facts.

Some handguns do not have 10 round mags available at the present time, thus making the firearm useless or as stated banned by configuration.  Same as Glock 17 was until the 10 round mag came out when we went to the 15 round limit.  I cannot specifically name any at the moment, but there are some already with a magazine capacity greater than 15 rounds, leaving one to "create" compliant magazines to comply.

Marlin 60

Remington 552

Winchester 190

JC Higgins model 36

Various sears rifles

I pretty much assumed that rimfire would take the biggest hit. Potentially BB guns as well. 

So it looks like they are going after the gateway guns first. BASTARDS!!!!!!

Some handguns do not have 10 round mags available at the present time, thus making the firearm useless or as stated banned by configuration.  Same as Glock 17 was until the 10 round mag came out when we went to the 15 round limit.  I cannot specifically name any at the moment, but there are some already with a magazine capacity greater than 15 rounds, leaving one to "create" compliant magazines to comply.

I know : / 

I made sure to check that 10 round mags for the Glock Gen 4's were available (they are) so I've been kinda waiting for the hammer to fall before stocking up on them. But it might be smart to beat all of you other suckers to the punch before you suck up the entire inventory that's out there : P

(that said.... bleh.... a 10 round mag. It's infuriating!)

I know : / 

I made sure to check that 10 round mags for the Glock Gen 4's were available (they are) so I've been kinda waiting for the hammer to fall before stocking up on them. But it might be smart to beat all of you other suckers to the punch before you suck up the entire inventory that's out there : P

Yeah.... too late for that already : /

F'n NJ 

I wonder, for existing magazines, would you be able to take them to a gunsmith and get them modified to 10 round? I've seen online how to use a rivet gun to permenently block them, and I'd rather not be screwed with the mags I have now. Considering Colorado is the only state I know of where anyone would have interest in 15 round mags, the limited market makes it harder to unload them for enough to buy an equivalent number of 10 round mags. Furthermore, I don't want to sell them now, only to have Christie Veto or something.

I'd rather have my ANA 15rounders pinned to 10 simply because factor 10 round mags are shorter, and thus harder to load/unload (even if only slightly so). I like having a little something more to hold on to.

I made sure to check that 10 round mags for the Glock Gen 4's were available (they are) so I've been kinda waiting for the hammer to fall before stocking up on them. 

I am only buying guns for which 10 round magazines ARE NOT available.