Sign in to follow this  
supranatural

Experience with airline transport of ammunition

I haven't seen a post on this but since I am traveling to Florida in a few days, I may hit up some gun shops and Bass Pro and if they have, for example, 22lr in stock I may buy some to take home. I know they need to be in check in luggage but since there will be no firearms do I need to declare it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year I traveled from Dallas to Newark Airport with ammo on 3 or 4 occasions. Went fine. But all things considered, I also recommend you instead ship UPS.

If you still want to fly home with some:

- check and printout the rules on the tsa and airline websites.

- you do have to declare it but in my experience the bag agent didnt do anything different. Ie they just put my bag on the belt same as always. Do get the name of the agent you declared it to incase you are challenged in any way.

- having to declare it may cause you to have to go on the main long baggage line instead of the more numerous bag drop off stations.

- recommend you give yourself an extra 30 mins just in case.

- i also state to the baggage agent that i am declaring ammo only, not a firearm.

- per other threads here, do not fly into nyc airports with ammo or firearms.

All of the above adds stress. Hence the UPS recommendation.

I flew to Florida last week United from Newark, they have an 11lb limit in your checked bag, no black powder, no reloaded ammo, and ammo must be in the original manufacturer box or a latched metal box from what I read. I only had one box of .40 critical defense for my carry piece. My bag went right through TSA no problem with my gun when I declared it at the counter. (Too bad I forgot to pack my holster :facepalm: )

BTW I couldn't find .22 down there anywhere. My Father-in-law down there was complaining about having a difficult time locating any as well. But I did return with a nice new Galco IWB.

I flew to Florida last week United from Newark, they have an 11lb limit in your checked bag, no black powder, no reloaded ammo, and ammo must be in the original manufacturer box or a latched metal box from what I read. I only had one box of .40 critical defense for my carry piece. My bag went right through TSA no problem with my gun when I declared it at the counter. BTW I couldn't find .22 down there anywhere. My Father-in-law down there was complaining about having a difficult time locating any as well.

I've never encountered the 'no reload' rule, even on United, but it's possible things have changed.   Most airlines stipulate factory boxes or equivalent.  I never had a problem with plastic ammo boxes.   As I recall, max ammo weight allowed in baggage on common carriers is 5 kg (which is about 11 lbs), but many of the gate agents only remember the '5'...I've been told 5 lbs, 5 boxes, 500 rounds...   And airlines are free to adjust downwards from the 5 kg limit.  Bringing along a printout of their policy (usually found on the airline website) is useful.

I

I've never encountered the 'no reload' rule, even on United, but it's possible things have changed. Most airlines stipulate factory boxes or equivalent. I never had a problem with plastic ammo boxes. As I recall, max ammo weight allowed in baggage on common carriers is 5 kg (which is about 11 lbs), but many of the gate agents only remember the '5'...I've been told 5 lbs, 5 boxes, 500 rounds... And airlines are free to adjust downwards from the 5 kg limit. Bringing along a printout of their policy (usually found on the airline website) is useful.
when I read it last week it said "factory loaded" didn't say couldn't be factory reloads, but thats how I took it. Not that you could tell one of my hand loads from a factory load in a manufactures box unless you really know your S*#t. The mouth breathers at TSA have no clue. The airline probably just says that to cover their a$$.

They are cool with ammo, provided it is "contained." In a box is best, loaded in a mag is good if the mag is covered. In the case with the gun is fine with TSA, but I think US Air wants it outside the gun case.

What they don't like is soup cans. They think they are bombs. If they see soup cans, they will open your luggage and swab them, then put them in the GC to check for explosives. Try it. You'll see what happens after it goes through the X-ray.