wink-_-wink

FB Cancer Awareness

Has anyone else seen this cancer awareness thing on FB where you have 24 hours to jump in cold water (like a lake or ocean or something) you then call out 3 other people who have to do it, and video it and post it?  My cousin was telling me about this yesterday, today I see a ton of videos of people jumping in our local lake, tonight at work I get a call from the wife saying that I will be jumping in a lake tomorrow!!?  I mean I don't think it actually helps cancer, but hey if it brings awareness  then sure why not right?  I have a friend who got called out and due to health concerns he could not jump in the lake but instead wrote a $100 check to the American Cancer Association.... I am just curious if anyone else is seeing this or even doing this?!

White people love to promote "awareness" of every sort of disease or cause there is. Usually it's something they didn't give a shit about until it hit them or their family and they all the sudden become an advocate. Just like Christopher Reeves and spinal injuries.

I have seen something similar. The "Cold Water Challange" where the challanged person has 2 choices: 1. Jump in cold water. 2. Give $x to the charity specified by the challanger. Either has to be done within 24 hours. An EMT I know was telling me about it and said he may Challange me, I'm not FB friends with him - too bad. I think I deflated him when I told him I would not comply. What charities I choose to support with my time and money are my own business.

Now it has morphed into "cancer awareness". I'm aware of cancer. I don't need to jump in cold water to become more aware of cancer. This is just as annoying as "Share this picture if your against ......" Because if I hit "share" suddenly some child abuser, pedophile, drug dealer or sick person will magically become well or see the error of their ways and repent. "Thanks for hitting share - you magically and instantly changed my life!"

I think everyone is aware enough of cancer without me jumping into the lake. Are you sure this isn't for Hypothermia awareness???

How bout it.

On a more serious note, I am part of an organization promoting leftist hysteria awareness and we have a jump off a bridge challenge. Everybody is doing it, will you?

Hmm. never heard of cnacer before this. IT is truly horrific!

FFS. Howabout funding actual research rather than funding "awareness" marketing machines, or even just encouraging "viral" stupidity with no discernible point.

How bout it.

On a more serious note, I am part of an organization promoting leftist hysteria awareness and we have a jump off a bridge challenge. Everybody is doing it, will you?

I wouldn't be against hysteric Leftist Liberals sacrificing themselves in protest for their cause. Like the Tibetan monks did during the Vietnam war. Hell I would even spring for the gasoline and the matches.:lol:

This will definitely get some attention for their plight...

gasa9u2a.jpg