Sign in to follow this  
Underdog

E-book reader Question

Are there any simple E-book readers that you can read in outside bright sunlight and which allow you to use both Barnes and Noble and Kindle books?  Or, do you have to pick either a Kindle Paper White or Nook Glow Light and then have the limitations of proprietary media for either?  Or, maybe the ability to root it and then use it for both. 

Most of my media is Amazon, however, I have about 50 Barnes and Noble books that I would want to "convert" to kindle format and use if I got the Kindle Paper White.   The older Nook Simple Reader (simple touch?) without the Glow ability has a card slot, which I like, but cannot use the bulk of my E-texts which are in the proprietary Kindle mobi format. 

I have a Nook HD that has access to Google Play and all those apps,  and it can use Amazon content with an app.  It has other features I like, WIFI connectivity and a card slot for additional content, however, it really doesn't work outside in bright light and functions more like a tablet than an E-reader.  When traveling in a vehicle, etc. the ambient is too bright even with brightest setting (which uses up considerable more battery life).  It is essentially a tablet without camera that works really well as an E-reader, but won't work outside, except in shade.

Ideally what I want is a Nook Glowlight Black and White Tablet that has a card slot, internet connectivity and a Kindle App w/ long battery life.  Is there anything that can come close to replicating this nonexistent E-reader?  The older Nook simple touch has everything, except the background lighting and would need an additional booklight to read in the dark, and it cannot read kindle books. 

I guess my wish list would be a Nook Simple Touch or GlowLight with WIFI capability and root it to run android apps and then get both the Kindle and Barnes and Noble apps for it and a PDF reader.

Does anybody have any experience with this?  Since most of my material is in Kindle format, I guess I should just get a Kindle PaperWhite... as Father's Day is coming up.

Yeah, just use Calibre to convert from format.

I have a Kindle Paper White, the wife has a Nook Glow.    We routinely convert books back and forth.

My kindle does not have the light, but my battery lasts weeks(3+)...hers  last 4-5 days or so.

Do you have to save the books to your PC first? 

Is there anyone here who can or has rooted a Nook Simple Touch?

Do you have to save the books to your PC first? 

They have to be on your PC to use Calibre.

I buy many of my books from independent sellers like Baen, and those aren't delivery directly to my Kindle so it's easier to convert.