Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if someone could recommend a good local SJ dealer that has good prices on 30-60? I just picked up a Remington 783 from Dicks Sporting Goods in Delaware in 30-06 and I cannot wait to take it out to the range. To finish it off I purchased scope rings from CDNN and I plan to install my 12x Illumined Scope from Truglo. I also purchased one box of 30-06 Remington Core Lokt in 220 Grain to sight in but I would like to get one more box to see which ammo the rifle shoots best with. If anyone is looking for a rifle Dicks has a great deal on the rifle this week. They have the firearm on sale for $375 and a $75 mail in rebate bringing it down to $300. Remington is also running a special if you purchase ammo and the rifle you receive a $20 voucher. What a great deal!

Congrats on the rifle purchase but I think you will quickly surpass the price of the rifle with the cost of ammo for it.  Check slickguns.com or gunbot.net for the best prices on any given caliber.  I think the best you will find for 30-06 is around .70/rd. 

Thank you everyone for the replies. I checked out Sportsmen's Guide since they usually have good prices. Does anyone have a free shipping coupon code? I was also curious does anyone know of a local SJ dealer with good ammo prices or any current ammo rebates? Thank you everyone for the help!

220 is good for big critters (moose,brown bear, etc). 150 is fine for deer. Many will use 180 for black bear. I think 150 is a good weight for most uses. 168 or so will be better for long range (400 yd plus). I think a 150 will do most things out to 400 yd or so and give you a flatter trajectory. Thats what my 30-06s are sighted for. Others will have different opinions.

Good deal on the rifle BTW.

168 BTHP Match over 45.5gr VV N-150 or W748 COL 3.24 (YMMV) for LD HS paper punching. Great Garand loads also!

Bullet weight for game depends on game hunted and prevailing terrain. Generally 110gr for yotes, 130 and up for deer, pigs, etc., 180 and up for bear, etc! 

Don't think about it, just do it.  Save all your boxer primed brass, now! 

Cost as in buying them reloaded or reloading them?  First, new ammo has a Federal Excise tax built into the price.  So does new brass.  When you reload your fired brass, you are just paying for primer ($.035), bullet ($.31) and powder (7,000 gr/lb or about $.18/round).  So, if my late night math is any good about $.525/rd or $10.50/box for home grown 168BTHP match ammo tailored to your rifle. 

To put it in perspective, I could reload 20 pieces of brass with 220RN for about the same price per box.  Now, what did you pay?

Of course that is why you see guys buying used brass all the time.  Figure about .19-.24/each add that to the above numbers and your at $15/box for reloads the first time and back to the other numbers for each time you reload

I actually have been keeping my brass for quite some time now to for the purpose of reloading later. Wow! Its a lot cheaper to reload. I guess the most expensive part is the initial investment. Are materials such as primers, powder, bullets hard to find at this time? Thank you for your help!

As of today powder is the most difficult to find.  Head and primers are not hard to find, but more expensive.  Powder is bad.  Seem to be settling for alternatives all the time.  Have not seen this in over 25+ years of reloading.

Your in South Jersey, you'll have to shop around.  Try some stores in Del.  Xring, Cabelas, etc.  I'm sure other South Jersey members can help you out here.  Just saw a Hornady single stage kit on sale somewhere online, cannot remember right now!  Cabelas $280 have it shipped to Del Store for P/U.  Mail in rebate for 500 free bullets.