Sign in to follow this  
BCeagle

PA rifle question

Just saw Cabelas has a rifle I want on sale and was thinking of picking it up on my way to Hershey and had a few questions.

1. What time does NICS open, I will be there around 8am.

2.Can I leave it in my car all weekend.  (Cabelas said yes last time but need to make sure.

3.If 1 or 2 are negative, can I buy it on Sunday?

Just saw Cabelas has a rifle I want on sale and was thinking of picking it up on my way to Hershey and had a few questions.

1. What time does NICS open, I will be there around 8am.

2.Can I leave it in my car all weekend.  (Cabelas said yes last time but need to make sure.

3.If 1 or 2 are negative, can I buy it on Sunday?

Are you talking today?  Isn't NJ NICS closed for the Holiday?    And I'd imagine for the weekend as well, no?

Or are you talking PICS?  I have no idea about them but I'd assume they're also closed today, right?

Why not buy it and leave it on "Will call" where you are picking it up and then do so on Monday when NICS should be open?

Outside of Philly, loaded rifles are allowed anywhere guns are not banned by law (courts, detention centers, assume schools, federal bldgs/some federal areas) - except in car, rifles are allowed in car but not loaded. (only SBR/SBS/AOW/MG allowed loaded in car with permit).

No permit required.

One tip with Cabelas, especially on a Saturday morning.  Be at the door when they unlock and go directly to the gun counter and grab a number.  I got there at 8:20 on a weekday morning recently because I was stuck in traffic through Philly.  I waited 40 minutes for someone in the gun dept to see me.

Middle of the day on a weekday is much better if you can stop on your way back instead.

Yup, they'll walk you to the door with your rifle and hand it to you at the door to throw over your shoulder and carry across the parking lot.  Felt odd.

Walk you to the door while you have a loaded handgun on your hip and a loaded rifle slung over your shoulder :)

"except in car, rifles are allowed in car but not loaded. (only SBR/SBS/AOW/MG allowed loaded in car with permit)."

No permit required.

So, a standard AR-15 loaded would be illegal in a vehicle, but an SBR, full auto rifle or shorty shotgun loaded is ok?

Seems...odd?

How did this law come about?

So, a standard AR-15 loaded would be illegal in a vehicle, but an SBR, full auto rifle or shorty shotgun loaded is ok?Seems...odd?How did this law come about?

LTCF covers "concealable" firearms for the most part, including those, and covers loaded car carry. There are two prevailing explanations about the ban on loaded long arms in cars (which is only a summary offense, this aint Jersey), the most likely one is fear of poaching.

Follow up:

I picked up a Ruger 10/22 LaserMax for $250 and gave my 10yo daughter a nice long gun safety chat as I start to introduce it to her.

BTW:  They did not walk me to the door with it, I walked out with the rifle and 100 rounds of ammo.  I thought they walked the guy out before me, but I was able to walk around the store on my way out and no one said a word.

It was empty, guy said it was dead for about a month.  I got there around noon and they were only on #42.  I didnt even have to take a ticket, guy helped me out and a bunch of guys were just standing around BSing.

BTW:  They did not walk me to the door with it, I walked out with the rifle and 100 rounds of ammo.  I thought they walked the guy out before me, but I was able to walk around the store on my way out and no one said a word.

What do you think was the difference between you and him that they would walk him out and not you? 

What do you think was the difference between you and him that they would walk him out and not you? 

No clue, the only thing I could think of was that his wasnt in a box and mine was and they put tape around my box.  Maybe if I cut the tape I would have been taken down.  His was paper wrapped in tape.  Only think I could think of.

Either that or I have a trustworthy face.

That Cabela's is a huge schlepp for me, but I'm passing right by it on my way down to, and on my way up from Memphis next month.

Are you guys saying that if I get there at 9am going south, and say 3pm going north, I'll have a very long wait at the gun counter? That could be a deal killer. Wife and kids are not into the manly sports.

That Cabela's is a huge schlepp for me, but I'm passing right by it on my way down to, and on my way up from Memphis next month.

Are you guys saying that if I get there at 9am going south, and say 3pm going north, I'll have a very long wait at the gun counter? That could be a deal killer. Wife and kids are not into the manly sports.

They have a girl room.

I walked in there once by accident. It has candles and crap. Picture frames and nicknaks. I think it could tie them up for 15 minutes and $200 or so. You can have the kids tie up Mom for about 10 minutes in the Redneck Aquarium. Maybe you get 5 minutes out of the deer room if lucky. Check Google Maps. There are a whole lot of stores packed in that area. There is also the Seventh Day Adventist Book Store for PA right up the hill if any of them are vegetarians, since they sell shelf stable and canned food there.

They have a girl room.

I walked in there once by accident. It has candles and crap. Picture frames and nicknaks. I think it could tie them up for 15 minutes and $200 or so. You can have the kids tie up Mom for about 10 minutes in the Redneck Aquarium. Maybe you get 5 minutes out of the deer room if lucky. Check Google Maps. There are a whole lot of stores packed in that area. There is also the Seventh Day Adventist Book Store for PA right up the hill if any of them are vegetarians, since they sell shelf stable and canned food there.

Thanks. I'll see if I can arrange a bathroom/food stop for that area.