Sign in to follow this  
1LtCAP

HVAC guys

R134a is not "safe to vent into the atmosphere". It has a GWP of 1300.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/Refrigerants-Environment-Properties-d_1220.html

This is true, but you think the average person uses a recovery machine? I should have said its "safer to vent" but not recommend.

I figured that, just being facetious...

The thing is, doing the scut work instead of paying someone saves big bucks.  Doing the scut work for someone else, usually pays very little.   It comes from growing up on a farm and having to do everything for yourself since there was no one who would come do the work at any price.  That said, my days of doing thousands of bales of hay in 3 cuttings and a final cutting of straw are OVER!  Running some electric, drilling some holes and running some pipes is easy work, just time consuming.

And yeah, I do have a pretty good job.  Growing up on a farm motivates you to get a job where you can sit on your butt and make other people do stuff.

I used to work on a farm as well, I completely understand. I pay my guys $25 an hour and up based upon their skill level. But yeah I'm making way more than they are for sure. I still get my hands dirty as well, but I don't complain when i spend a day in the office like I did today. I guess I spent 4 years in college, 5 years as an apprentice, 4 years of apprentice school at night. To take my test and get my license. My dues have been paid. I don't feel guilty typing estimates all day on occasion.

I used to work on a farm as well, I completely understand. I pay my guys $25 an hour and up based upon their skill level. But yeah I'm making way more than they are for sure. I still get my hands dirty as well, but I don't complain when i spend a day in the office like I did today. I guess I spent 4 years in college, 5 years as an apprentice, 4 years of apprentice school at night. To take my test and get my license. My dues have been paid. I don't feel guilty typing estimates all day on occasion.

as it should be. you're the one taking the risk and responsibilities having your own business.

I just installed a ductless Gree Terra series (18K).  The brand is Chinese, but this model uses a Mitsubishi compressor.

The compressor and air handler cost around $1350.  Maybe $300 additional for line-set, electrical wire, whip, breakers, disconnect, drain line, etc. Was really easy to install--despite the fact that I mis-measured my wall penetration and had to re-do that (measure once, cut twice?); but I was able to mostly subsume the smaller hole into a slightly larger one, so you can't really tell.

I had an A/C guy cut and flare the lines to length, leak check, evacuate and charge (about $250).  I was wary of even bending the lines myself, so I had hime do that too.  But I would not hesitate to do that on the next installation.  Just go easy and work in small pieces at a time with large radii.  The unit works great so far.  I like the fact that they use a DC compressor motor, so the compressor is essentially infinitely variable and provides more or less cooling based on the delta.  So you don't get a huge blast of cold air on and off.  Once it reaches the target temp it seems to just stay on at a very low cooling level to maintain the temperature.  I would think that is good for compressor/motor life and efficiency.  Now I just need to install the surge-protection device at the disconnect.

I have hot-water baseboard heat, so a central a/c would have been fairly intrusive.  I am now looking at a 3-zone unit for the bedrooms.

Bought from comfortup.com.  I was very happy with the service.  When the unit arrived I noticed a small dent in the compressor box (my wife had accepted it from the delivery company).  It did not look too bad, but when I opened it the compressor had a small indent on one of the corners.  I considered keeping it, but with all the fins and piping and high pressure  I was not willing to take the chance that it was only cosmetic.  I contacted the company and sent pictures.  They had a BOL for return shipment and a replacement unit on the road the same day.  I had called it in on Tuesday and the replacement was delivered Friday!  And customer service was very pleasant to deal with.

I just installed a ductless Gree Terra series (18K).  The brand is Chinese, but this model uses a Mitsubishi compressor.

The compressor and air handler cost around $1350.  Maybe $300 additional for line-set, electrical wire, whip, breakers, disconnect, drain line, etc. Was really easy to install--despite the fact that I mis-measured my wall penetration and had to re-do that (measure once, cut twice?); but I was able to mostly subsume the smaller hole into a slightly larger one, so you can't really tell.

I had an A/C guy cut and flare the lines to length, leak check, evacuate and charge (about $250).  I was wary of even bending the lines myself, so I had hime do that too.  But I would not hesitate to do that on the next installation.  Just go easy and work in small pieces at a time with large radii.  The unit works great so far.  I like the fact that they use a DC compressor motor, so the compressor is essentially infinitely variable and provides more or less cooling based on the delta.  So you don't get a huge blast of cold air on and off.  Once it reaches the target temp it seems to just stay on at a very low cooling level to maintain the temperature.  I would think that is good for compressor/motor life and efficiency.  Now I just need to install the surge-protection device at the disconnect.

I have hot-water baseboard heat, so a central a/c would have been fairly intrusive.  I am now looking at a 3-zone unit for the bedrooms.

Bought from comfortup.com.  I was very happy with the service.  When the unit arrived I noticed a small dent in the compressor box (my wife had accepted it from the delivery company).  It did not look too bad, but when I opened it the compressor had a small indent on one of the corners.  I considered keeping it, but with all the fins and piping and high pressure  I was not willing to take the chance that it was only cosmetic.  I contacted the company and sent pictures.  They had a BOL for return shipment and a replacement unit on the road the same day.  I had called it in on Tuesday and the replacement was delivered Friday!  And customer service was very pleasant to deal with.

good to know. i can't really run ducting in my home, due to the age/design/retardeness of it. when i saw this kind of setup though, i figured it'd be a good, relatively inexpensive way for me to make the place more comfortable for mom. if it were for me, i'd just keep with window fans, as the heat doesn't bother me toooooo much.....but she can't take it, and i gotta do what i can to take care of her.

I am happy with the single 18K unit that cools the main areas of my house (south facing kitchen and dining, north facing LR--about 800 SF).  I just installed an Intermatic SPD (Compressor defender) at the disconnect as well as a new whole house SPD (Leviton) at the breaker box.  Hopefully it will give me some protection against electrical surges.

I will probably buy a three-zone ductless system next spring to cool the bedrooms.  One 24K compressor with three Freon circuits to 3x9000 BTU air handlers.  It is probably the best option--or the least invasive option anyway--if you do not already have ducts.  And if you do the grunt work yourself and hire an A/C company to do the final, you can save a few hun to a few thou.  Most quoted me $115/hr to $165/hr.  I figure it will probably take me twice as long, but I will probably be more conscientious.  So $80+/hour after taxes is worth my time.

The H&H have not been bad this year, but usually I need something to at least cut the humidity down.  We were using a window A/C, which kept things just comfortable.  Biggest differences (besides the obvious of having our window back) was how quiet these things are.  I was concerned about compressor placement for noise, but on the next one I would have no qualms placing right outside a bedroom window.  It is so quiet.  And the indoor unit is really quiet too.  Much better than the window unit, and even quieter than most central systems IMHO.  Also the better evenness and distribution of the cooling is real nice.