DirtyDigz

What's a quick/cheap way for me to wire up a blinking LED?

I have an idea for a Halloween costume that's going to incorporate a single blinking LED.

What's a quick/cheap way for me to wire up a single LED so that it blinks rapidly (say, 2-10Hz (2 - 10 times per second))?

I'm reasonably proficient with soldering and I know basic electronics (I know how to read a resistor rating and how to orient a polarized capacitor) but it's been a long time since I've built anything electronic and I don't know where to source parts anymore.

I'll just need a single white LED, but would like it to be as bright as reasonably possible.  Will need it to be about a two feet away from the power source and would prefer thin wires running from it to power.  Also would like the power source to be small and light (ideally something like a big watch battery, but I could also handle a couple of AA batteries or a CR123).  Would need the power supply to last about 4 hours.

I'm thinking about getting one of those cheap LED flashlights that has a strobe mode and ripping it up and extending the LED out on some wires, but was wondering if there is a better way to do it.

A 555 timer and a couple of other parts will do the trick.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-fast-blinking-LED-bike-light/

Radio Shack might even have the parts, but I usually order online from Mouser or Digi-Key

The 555 is a very common and versatile component. I've made everything from flashing lights to a radio transmitter with it. 

Ooh, I think that's the winner right there.  Dead simple - now to see if I can get it shipped for less than the cost of one of those cheap CREE flashlights with strobe mode...

A 555 timer and a couple of other parts will do the trick..........

The 555 is a very common and versatile component. I've made everything from flashing lights to a radio transmitter with it. 

The 555 is a great IC with a million and one uses.  Back when I worked at Bell Labs we used to make TV jammers with them.  We had TONS of fun at sports bars.