John3754

Recommended amount of water in bug-out-bag?

Well ... That makes it very hard to actually collect water, so yeah the straw types are cheaper, but far less flexible. Secondly that is 0.05 which is more of a filter then a purifier, which again its fine for most things, but mostly I think the 0.02 - 0.01 filter/purfiers are the answer if you are going to spend money on a last ditch, the zombies are pissing in my water bucket kinda stuff. 

Vlad, do you know of any such systems that are relatively large scale? Where you can dump 1-2 gallons into a reservoir and return to Zombola alert? My current filters don't have the kind of throughput I'd like.

I like the second product better. 0.2 microns (first product) is the lower size limit for bacteria. The second product claims 0.02 microns.

I'm beginning to think the smart thing is to use a prefilter, something like many of us have below the sink. That will remove almost everything, including the algae and gunk. Then use a ceramic filter.

The inline filters for your sink only work if you have water pressure. I suppose there is an argument to be had for having a Brita type filter sitting around to use as a pre-filter for the big stuff. 

If it comes to this the only pressure you need is a jug whose water level is above the inlet of the under-sink filter (which is now on your counter top, not actually under the sink. The outlet runs into the ceramic filter. If the system is sealed except for a vent in the uppermost container you don't have to worry about spillage. I ran something like that in the lab 30 years ago for chromatography columns. You can even have a pre-pre filter, sand e.g., to keep the under-sink filter from clogging too quickly.