Sign in to follow this  
CageFighter

PA/NJ residences??

I may have an opportunity to move to our new plant in so Jersey, Logan Twp.  Since I own a house in north NJ, I may decide to rent an apt over the border in PA. My pIan is to reside at the PA address Mon-Fri & come back to north NJ on Fri-Mon.  would consider a PA license to get an in-state LTCF & a tax stamp, SBRs, silencors, etc. How would I handle my NJ FOID card, etc?  Can I keep it since I still reside there only on weekends?  My DL would prob be from PA, not NJ.   Any thoughts on how to handle this situation?

If you're going to trade in your NJDL for a PaDL, you should also put in a change of address on your NJ FPID to your Pa address.

That way, you can still buy long guns and ammo here in the PRNJ and you still get the benefits of having a good-guy card in your wallet so you avoid having to abide by the directly-to-and-from rule.

5 days in Pa vs 2 in NJ is the logic going on in my brain for the decision.

I'm also considering the same move as you as my apartment complex was just sold.

No idea what the new owners and mgt team will make of the place by the time my current lease expires in the fall.

Time will tell.

March 1st I'm doing the same thing. Moving across the river for work but still spend considerable time in Jersey as my family and girlfriend are still in this state.

I plan on getting my PaDL and then will be changing my NJ FPID to my PA address so I can still buy handgun ammo when I'm here.

Careful what you do.  If you use the PA location as your primary residence, then you must consider health insurance, income taxes, car insurance, etc.  It can and will get dicey.  You could get yourself in a bind.  It is not a cut and dry deal.  The more IDs you have DL, INS, etc., the easier to "trip" over the rats nest you created.

My pIan is to reside at the PA address Mon-Fri & come back to north NJ on Fri-Mon.  would consider a PA license to get an in-state LTCF & a tax stamp, SBRs, silencors, etc.

You don't NEED to get a PA DL to buy guns as a PA resident or register NFA goodies. But it will make it easier so good idea.

Since you are planning on NFA, you will want to research which county to rent in. There are some counties in SE PA where the Sheriff or CLEO won't sign. You would have to form a corp or trust, but ATF will probably require CLEO signoff for those as well some time this year (Probably May). Make sure you get recent info, Sheriffs and policies change. I suggest you pick two or three counties that work for you and go to a Pennsylvania gun forum and ask people who have bought there recently. Or pick up the phone and call each Sheriff and ask.

Careful what you do.  If you use the PA location as your primary residence, then you must consider health insurance, income taxes, car insurance, etc.  It can and will get dicey.  You could get yourself in a bind.  It is not a cut and dry deal.  The more IDs you have DL, INS, etc., the easier to "trip" over the rats nest you created.

PA taxes and car insurance rates are lower and PA and NJ have tax reciprocity. It's perfectly clean, he pays taxes in PA and not Jersey. If his work offers an NJ health insurance plan it will be nearly unaffected by his PA residency. However, if he has HMO vs. PPO it is possible his PA in-network options may be limited, or not. Shouldn't matter much since he will be near the NJ border and has a house in NJ anyway, not like he has to fly to AZ for routine care. It is worth looking into, you are right. But getting a job over a state line is not exactly like squirreling money away in a Swiss Bank account. It's pretty routine. Wouldn't hurt to email insurance agent, accountant, and HR.

Delaware County (PA) is also #1 on my list.

Going back to the sh*thole of my birth (Phila) is not in the cards, thank you!

And word is that the State of Delaware's gun laws are getting worse, so Keystone State it is (if I move)

Even with Tom Wolf in Harrisburg, both houses of the PA legislature are still firmly controlled by the R's

I may have an opportunity to move to our new plant in so Jersey, Logan Twp.  Since I own a house in north NJ, I may decide to rent an apt over the border in PA. My pIan is to reside at the PA address Mon-Fri & come back to north NJ on Fri-Mon.  would consider a PA license to get an in-state LTCF & a tax stamp, SBRs, silencors, etc. How would I handle my NJ FOID card, etc?  Can I keep it since I still reside there only on weekends?  My DL would prob be from PA, not NJ.   Any thoughts on how to handle this situation?

If you maintain a residence in NJ you could keep your NJ FPID card as is, no need to change your address to PA. If you get a PA DL you will need to get a NJ boat license if you want to buy guns in NJ as a NJ resident (when you are residing in NJ).

Reading these posts I wonder how many other good working people are bailing on NJ? I wonder what the big picture is? Is it a net outflow of people or are they being replaced.

I moved here from NY. Long Island actually and hundreds of thousands moved with me being replaced by non working people. Whole towns on LI in which were nice when we lived are now swaths of higher crime and getting run down looking. Is the same thing happening here I wonder. I know in my fathers age group the same thing happened to the cities as working folks left.

Is it happeneing again. Sorry for the off topic post.

Reading these posts I wonder how many other good working people are bailing on NJ? I wonder what the big picture is? Is it a net outflow of people or are they being replaced.

I moved here from NY. Long Island actually and hundreds of thousands moved with me being replaced by non working people. Whole towns on LI in which were nice when we lived are now swaths of higher crime and getting run down looking. Is the same thing happening here I wonder. I know in my fathers age group the same thing happened to the cities as working folks left.

Is it happeneing again. Sorry for the off topic post.

New Jersey has been stuck at the top of the outbound list for three of the past four years. Some 64% more people moved out than moved in.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2014/02/10/the-states-people-are-fleeing-in-2014/