Sign in to follow this  
mustang69

Heritage Guild "Gun Show" - anyone go?

I was out at the Easton range this morning and there were signs up for a used gun show, so I took a look.

While calling this a gun show might have been a stretch, it was nice to look at so many different handguns.  Seems like HG took all their used inventory from 3 stores and put them in one room.  Did anyone else go?  Anyone get a deal on something?

I saw an interesting Para LDA in .40 and an early Colt Detective Special that were interesting, just not good enough to swap some limited cash for.  Also a couple things I never saw before, like a polymer frame Kimber 1911, along with the usual late-model trade-ins.  Granted, I was there Sunday and the event had been going on since Friday, so the selection was probably picked through.

The one that made me cry was a Colt Cobra that was a mess.  Looked like it had been used lightly but put away dirty and completely neglected.  The cylinder was hard to turn, the ejector rod frozen and rust on the frame.  What a waste.

yes quite a few people went from njgunsforsale, It was their take on a gun show so to speak, and they were definitely willing to haggle on prices. I got a great deal on 1938 Tula Finnish capture mosin in a pot belly stock with winter war 41 capture stamp. I couldn't believe my ears on the price I got for it. There was a lot of guys who good good deals. The prices on tags were definitely not what they were selling for if you asked.

The one that made me cry was a Colt Cobra that was a mess.  Looked like it had been used lightly but put away dirty and completely neglected.  The cylinder was hard to turn, the ejector rod frozen and rust on the frame.  What a waste.

Cobra frames are aluminum while the cylinders and barrels (and possibly the cranes) are steel.

I didn't go but Mike from RTSP told me about what they had there. He said a large part of what they were selling, was one guys collection that had been in a Sandy damaged house. he said there was a lot of nice stuff there.

Ah, so that explains the two tables of rusty guns...that's a shame, really, as some of them would have been nice (if not so rusty).  A good soaking in oil or ATF would probably free them up, but their collector value is finished.

I was at the show, and was VERY tempted by several items (a Beretta A300, Browning .22, and a Browning superposed, particularly), but didn't buy any of them.  The whole place was busy - the shop downstairs was hopping, too, as was the range.   If I was a PA resident, I might have bought one of the rusty S&W's to try and free-up as a fun shooter...

I had my eye out for other participants; and I even had my 'W2MC' hat on, but didn't see any. 

There were a couple I was interested in but not enough to burn a permit on.  The Colt Cobra would have been fun to work on but, as you said, the collector value is gone so it wasn't worth the premium.  There was a nice older Colt Detective Special - it was an early model with the unshrouded ejector rod and the original grips.  Also, anyone else see the polymer-framed Kimber?  I never knew there was such a thing, unless someone put a Kimber slide on another frame.

It wasn't very busy on Sunday when I was there.  Obviously the best stuff probably went early on Friday / Saturday.  If I was only in PA I might have bought a couple as projects.  Damn NJ...

Went on Sunday. Some interesting stuff.

On the "rusty'" table was a WWI 1911 in not terrible shape. Serial # 572,xxx with crappy aftermarket grips

Had some surface rust but not too terrible.

I asked if I could take the slide off to inspect the barrel and frame better and was told I couldn't...WTF!

Buy a used gun but can't check it out first?

Went on Sunday. Some interesting stuff.

On the "rusty'" table was a WWI 1911 in not terrible shape. Serial # 572,xxx with crappy aftermarket grips

Had some surface rust but not too terrible.

I asked if I could take the slide off to inspect the barrel and frame better and was told I couldn't...WTF!

Buy a used gun but can't check it out first?

Pretty sure Mike from RTSP bought that 1911. Unless there were two and he got a different one.