Sign in to follow this  
son of sam

Selling shipping guns from auction.

I have purchased several guns on gunbroker and now that my collection is growing I want to cull the heard a bit. If I list guns forsale on gunbroker or other auction websites, can I send them directly to an FFL or do I have to have my FFL send them to the winning bidder FFL? If I have to send from my FFL can I list and advertise my guns on Gunbroker and then take them to my FFL when auction is complete and have him do the actual shipping only? Most of what we are talking about here is WWII or earlier Mil-Surp, not that NJ recognizes C&R either way.

I know people outside of NJ can ship to an FFL so long as the FFL will accept non-FFL transfers. I dont know if a non FFL can ship a gun at all in NJ. Has anyone sent their pistol/rifle back to manufacturer for repair without going through their LGS/FFL?

Yes, you can ship directly to an FFL. Whether that FFL will accept shipment from a non-FFL is at their discretion. You need a copy of the their license for your records and the shipper may want to insure they are being shipped to a licensee.

Long arms may be shipped via USPS.

Handguns must be shipped common carrier (UPS or FedEx). Both UPS & FedEx require firearms to be shipped next day air - this is policy, not law. It minimizes the risk of theft by being in their systems for shortest period of time.

A FFL may ship a handgun via USPS and generally that is the cheapest way to go - the FFL's fee plus the freight is usually significantly less than the freight alone if you shipped it via UPS or FedEx.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

One correction. A non-licensee does not need, nor is required by law, to have a copy of the receiving dealer's license. A lot of dealers will not give a copy to a non-licensee. Just get the first 3 and last 5 of their FFL. I would recommend shipping out FFL to FFL. Cheaper and easier.

I dont have a problem using my FFL/LGS to ship as long as I can legally list the items for sale on gunbroker/etc.. My only concern was that I would be caught on some crazy law saying that a non FFL cannot list guns for sale. I see them listed on this forum so it should be legal.