Shoot!

DNZ Mount... How do I know how high?

Hi Gents

I'm a newbie shooter.  Very very green in fact I've looking for some instruction.  But that aside, I'm trying to understand how to calculate the proper height for a mount on my new 243 Win.  I got a Savage 10 Predator Hunter and a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP Milhash scope.  I found all the specs on the Sightron.  The diameter of the scope is 2.28".  The Savage is now the problem.  I can't find any specs on it.  How am I supposed to know the drop from the action to barrel?

I want a DNZ GameReaper mount because I'm a newbie and frankly I think even if I wasn't they just make sense.  The place I got the scope from recommended a "high" DNZ mount.  The short action Savage DNZ mounts are low .92″, medium 1.05″, and high 1.17″.  My gut is the high mount is too high.  If I assume even just a .25" drop from the top of the action to the barrel by my calculation.  I used this site to calculate: http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator.

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks

Sam

stick with it --  The DNZ mounts are top notch -- I have 3 or 4 of them for various platforms

I never worried about the height of the actual action -- Just found the scope objective diameter divide it by 2 and then find the height of the mount that is tall enough

Using that theory -- 2.28/2 is 1.14 -- you need the high mount if the top of the barrel is flush with the action

you probably can get by with the med mount but I would wait to confirm once the gun is in your hands

If your impatient, and need to have the mount NOW then order both and send the one back that doesn't work -- just order from somewhere that makes returns easy like Amazon