AVB-AMG

What is the Proper Age for Children to Learn about firearms?

Just because your paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you. In NJ as gun owners we know this is the case.

Sadly I have talked to several shooters in NJ that are so clueless/sheltered/brainwashed that they think NJ gun laws actually are fair and sensible. They don't realize that progressives will not stop until all firearms are banned. They have no idea about the laws already proposed such as in home inspections to determine your 'fitness to own a firearm' through someone's arbitrary determination, 5 rd magazine limits (which is basically a defacto ban of all semiauto handguns) etc. They actually believe that there isn't a large contingent of people that would happily take all of their firearms. Progressives want to ban transfats, soda etc because they think people are too stupid to make their own decisions, how can anyone not see that they want to ban all firearms? All we can do is try and educate prople unfortunately.

To stay on topic most ranges don't allow children under 8 to shoot but only you can make the decision on when they are mature enough.

Depends. Context is key. I always say, I had a cousin who I would have trusted to be around firearms alone at 8 and know she would be fine (disclaimer: no I have never done so but I do want to take her to the range, she's 11 now, dying to go, but mommy is very anti-gun). I have another cousin who is 32 and I still would not trust him at all, even with me present and knowing they were unloaded.

IMO air rifles for toddlers, and young children can safely handle 22s. Both of those 100% with adult supervision. If a kid has good genes and was raised right, they have the mental capacities to safely be around firearms alone at around 7-9. But you have to know your kid. Also don't trust a kid just because their parents say they will be fine. If kids, not of your genetics, will be in the house, lock up the guns.

You'll be able to tell....all kids are different

tattoo:

At the end of the day, that is really what it comes down to....

For those who have a rural environment where they do not have any restrictions it is one situation. For those who must deal with a public range, it is abiding by their rules.

AVB-AMG

Thanks for the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg :) PM.

I did not read it on the mobile.........but I will

Time will only tell..........if I am wrong mea culpe, if I am not well then you are a troll. Only *YOU* know....... ;) What do I know anyway....... !

Nickjc:

Pour yourself a nice big Boddingtons and read my PM at your leisure. When you have a chance please respond and we will move on.

One thing I have learned as we all grow older is that life can present all sorts of curve balls and for those of us over 50 yrs of age where friends and loved ones are dealing with even more important health issues that are quite sobering, I try to keep all of this in its proper perspective. Let's all be grateful for what we have, most importantly our health, so we all can continue to enjoy our respective passions as we grow older. Respectfully...

AVB-AMG

So me and my gf decided today was the day we take out the little guy for the first time. Here's a quick recap.

I forgot SCFGPA had IDPA today but thankfully pumpkin picking ran a little long beforehand.

We started by reciting the basic gun handling rules and range rukes. Then handling some unloaded firearms. All went well so we moved on.

First gun was my ar15 with a .22 conversion and one round in the mag. He picked up the controls very quickly and didn't show any fear. We worked our way to 5 or so in the mag at a time. I had to keep reminding him of his finger on the trigger (very much expected) but I helped keep control of the rifle at all times. He did remember to keep the rifle on safe before and after shots though.

He wanted to try my sr22 next so we started much the same with one in the mag and me supporting his grip. He didn't hit much but again expected.

I wanted to show him a large caliber handgun so I shot my 1911 and his face lit up. He asked to try so I let him try like we did on the .22. He only shot 2 rounds but you could see he enjoyed them.

We finished up and I taught him the importance of policing his brass and cleaning up for others. All in all it was a very positive experience and he listened the entire time. I wouldn't hesitate to take him again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well, I was raised on a farm, at least from the 3rd grade on, and have been around guns all of my life.  My dad was a hunter and traded guns all of his life. 

I started shooting at age 5, had my own 22 rifle at 7 and a 20 ga single bbl at 8 - both Christmas presents.  I got my first hand gun, a Colt Thunderer, at about 14. 

I started my niece & nephew shooting when they were 10 & 11 altho I think the boy at least had shot a 22 rifle before that.  When I took them to the range the first time in July, along with their father, they shot a variety of rifles & pistols, including 22s.  I gave them both hi power rifles for Christmas that same year.  By then they had been to the range 2 or 3 times. 

Sarge