Sign in to follow this  
KMA4626

FID/permit application reference questions

im new to this state and i just established my residency and picked up a FID and pistol permit application with a friend of mine. my first and main question is: would it be ok for me to use my friend as a reference if he is also applying?

also do the people i use have to have spotless backgrounds? my friends in my old town all have blemishes on their records. (restraining order from ex wife, DUIs, other random misdemeanor arrests). i have a perfect record and havent even gotten a speeding ticket but i dont want to screw myself by picking an idiot reference. i dont know most of the people at work well enough yet that i would ask them. i dont want to put them in an uncomfortable spot.

I don't think they look up your references that hard but I would pick the best 2 out of the bunch. Use the search button man. One of the best ways is to add njgunforums and then whatever your question is on Google 9 out of 10 times you will be redirected here and get your answer

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

im new to this state and i just established my residency and picked up a FID and pistol permit application with a friend of mine. my first and main question is: would it be ok for me to use my friend as a reference if he is also applying?

also do the people i use have to have spotless backgrounds? my friends in my old town all have blemishes on their records. (restraining order from ex wife, DUIs, other random misdemeanor arrests). i have a perfect record and havent even gotten a speeding ticket but i dont want to screw myself by picking an idiot reference. i dont know most of the people at work well enough yet that i would ask them. i dont want to put them in an uncomfortable spot.

Pretty sure they just check the questionnaire from your references. I always put people who I know will fill them out right away and either deliver them to the PD or hand them to me to deliver to my PD. Use your friend and have him use you is perfectly fine. 

All theyre gonna do is send your 2 ref's a letter...asking how long theyve known you and is there any reason that youd be unfit to own a firearm and they have to mail it back...so make sure theyre responsible lol... No family 

It depends on the town.  My town wanted to physically meet with one of my references and wouldn't accept one from TX.

yeah i ended up getting my one coworker who is a retired cop as a reference and my friend Ive known forever. my police department gave me 2 papers that had a ton of boxes that had to be checked off and then signed. I think I should be good. the officer at the police station said getting the papers checked and signed is the easiest thing otherwise they will have to call them and ask all the questions over the phone