deerpark

Anyone switch from oil to natural gas?

Natural Gas is much more efficient than oil or propane, when the proper equipment is installed. Also it is much more convenient. Wood burning outdoor furnace is even better than natural gas, but not as convenient. Cost to convert to wood burning furnace isn't very much if you already have hydronic heat. As a previous poster said it pays for itself in two years. Go wood burning with natural gas for dryer, cooktop, and as backup. I prefer electric for oven because it is better to bake with.

If not looking to layout the funds for wood furnace or you have forced hot air then switch to natural gas. Yes you can install hot water coil forced hot air, but I've never heard of anyone having a good experience with it.

Cost to have gas line brought in is minimal. The state did away with the development zones a few years ago. However if the road was paved in the last 5 years or you are far away from the main with no neighbors the gas company won't run it. If available from the gas company it is usually just the cost of the road opening permit $65-$165 depending on the town.

You need a minimum of one appliance installed to have the meter set. You also have to have the meter installed in a certain amount of time or they will send you a huge bill for the line. Have a licensed plumber run gas line for furnace or boiler, water heater, range, and dryer. The only large savings you will see is from the furnace or boiler so the other appliances if newer leave them alone til they need replacing, but do have the future gas line installed.

As far as hot water boilers get a wall hung 97%+ efficiency boiler for a home under 2,500 sq ft or an Ultra 94 boiler for a larger home. Hot air I don't know as much about, but again the expense of the higher efficiency is worth it. Look into the highest efficiency multi stage furnace you can afford.

Radiant Hot Water is the best heat system followed by cast iron baseboard then fin tube baseboard.

Geo-Thermal is the best heat source, but you have to live in the right area and there are other factors including large expense of system.

The next new thing looks to be radiant cooling in the walls and ceiling and cold water crown cooling (not the proper terminology can't think of name right now). Basically it is the reverse of hot water baseboard heat it is cooled water running through what looks like metal crown. The giant house built in the Ozarks in Missouri is cooled with radiant tubing in the walls. It is also super efficient as far as windows and insulation go. For any system to work efficiently you need to minimize heat loss and penetrations.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How is that even possible? My house is more than double that size and 1 tank lasts me more than 3 months in the winter, so about $100/month

Because you are running a much newer boiler, with an indirect water heater. He has a tankless coil in his boiler if memory serves. That's a 30% savings right off the bat going from a tankless to an indirect storage tank. With a tankless his boiler is always maintaining between 160-180 24/7/365. With your indirect you have no low limit. The boiler doesn't turn on and off all day to maintain temperature for instant hot water. You have 40 gallons in storage ready to go at anytime.

If your going with a unit that will use the same chimney that the oil burner was using budget for a new chimney liner as well. Especially if it is masonry or terracotta lined.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's mandatory.
  • Like 1