Soclydeza

Where to shoot historic firearms

I'm a bit of a history nerd and would really like to try shooting some historic firearms but I don't know where I could.  I'm talking old stuff like match lock, flint lock, blunderbuss, etc.  Are there any special places that offer this, even if outside NJ?

18 hours ago, Soclydeza said:

I'm a bit of a history nerd and would really like to try shooting some historic firearms but I don't know where I could.  I'm talking old stuff like match lock, flint lock, blunderbuss, etc.  Are there any special places that offer this, even if outside NJ?

Next Sunday will be the 1st Sunday of the month.  That means Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club's Black Powder League will be holding its' regular monthly match.  Pistols start at 9am SHARP, and can be percussion single-shot, Cap & Ball, or flintlock ignition.  Pistol COF is 13 shots with the best 10 counting for score using a NRA B-19 target at 25 yards.  I used to be able to routinely hit high 80's to low 90's and win the match, but now with all I do for CNJFO I'm a bit out of practice.

Immediately following the pistol portion, we set-up for 50 yard offhand rifle match.  Rifles are mostly percussion, but some bring their flinters.  We fire 7 shots from 50 yards with the best 5 counting for score, and then move back to 100 yards where we fire 13 shots with the best 10 counting for score.  My personal best was 50 x 50 from 50 yards & a 91 x 100 at 100 yards (not on the same day) over my "career" while using a .50 caliber percussion (cap) out-of-the-box Lyman Trade Rifle.  My last competition I tied my personal best with a 138 x 150-2x.

As a Non-Member, YOU can enter our Match for the Non-Member rate of just $20, and our League Chairman will supply you with everything you need to shoot both matches!  He just needs a "heads-up" to bring the extra equipment :)  So are you interested in "taking a ride" on both a pistol & a rifle for a $20 match fee?  Come & shoot with us!  I don't own a Blunderbuss but I do have a 10 ga. SxS that I use to hunt pheasants I can bring & shoot round ball out of for kicks...  Her'e a few pix from over the years featuring all 3 platforms:  pistol, rifle & scattergun.  Hope to see you soon!  Old Bridge outdoor range is off Rt. 516 & easily accessible from everywhere!Image may contain: 1 person, standing, outdoor and natureImage may contain: one or more people, fire and outdoorImage may contain: one or more people, people standing, outdoor and natureImage may contain: 2 people, including David Rosenthal, people smiling, people standing, outdoor and natureImage may contain: one or more people, people standing, outdoor and natureImage may contain: David Rosenthal, outdoor and natureImage may contain: David Rosenthal, hat

Image may contain: David Rosenthal, smiling, outdoor