Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

Questioning my membership at Citizen's Rifle and Revolver Cl

Questioning my membership at Citizen's Rifle and Revolver Club in West Windsor, NJ.

Just came back from the range safety officer's meeting today. It was 3 hours spent on listening two people read the club rules verbatim, take a test on the comprehension, and then going to the indoor range to fire 2 5 round magazines to see if you can follow the range rules and operate a firearm.

Let me backtrack...

This range is less than 10 minutes from my home and office in either direction. They advertise 2 25 yard indoor ranges, a 50 yard outdoor pistol range, and a 100 yard rifle range. Sounds ideal right?

The process to join. Straight from the website...

Membership

CRRC presently has about 300 members, Our regular Monthly Meetings are held the first Wednesday of every month (except August), 7:30 PM Guests are welcome to attend, meet the members, tour our facilities, and find out more about the Club. Our members are expected to know and obey all range and safety rules. They may use ranges for which they have qualified at their convenience, may bring guests, and may sponsor family members at reduced rates. Members are also expected to take an active role in running the Club.

Current dues for adult members are $125 per year.

Each adult member is required to perform 12 hours of work per year or alternatively pay the Club $8.00 for each hour not worked.

Prospective members do not need to own a gun or to have previous shooting experience. Prospective members must be of good character and must demonstrate a mature, responsible attitude toward firearms and safety. To join CRRC as an adult member, you need to complete the following requirements:

Obtain an application (available only at Monthly Meetings).

Have two Club members sponsor his/her application.

Possess a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser ID card.

Be a member of the NRA or join at the Club.

Have a First Reading of his/her application at a Monthly Meeting.

Complete a Range Safety Class, including a live shooting test and a written Range Rule Test.

Pay a one-time $200 initiation fee.

Pay a one-time $25 building fee.

Pay a the balance of one year's dues ($125 per year)

Have a Second Reading of his/her application at a Monthly Meeting at which time a vote will be taken.

Now for the facilities, it is a great price, considering how close to my house. Went to the club and had my first reading in March, came back again for second reading April 1st... just to be told cannot have the reading as I did not yet have the RSO class. They are held once a quarter!

So today, go to the class. 3 hours of common sense. Then taken on the tour...

One of the club rules... no more than 5 rounds of ammo in any clip, no more than 1 in a high power rifle, defined as anything higher than a 22LR.

The 100 yard range... to settle the lawsuit with Township is 1 port... shooting a rifle through a concreate pipe.

So yes... that is where I am. In the mean time, I got a membership at Brick Armory. Only upside I see is having a 50 yard outdoor range... but the two 25 yard indoor ranges are open 24/7, and even though there are like 30 new people that sign up every month... doesnt seem as if anyone shoots there. I pass by it daily to and from work, and the most amount of cars I have seen is 3 or 4... not including weekends or regular club meetings.

I will scan the club rules for anyone interested. Shoot me a pm, will email it.

I did not like all of the BS that went along with shooting there when I was looking into it. I also got the runaround when it came to becoming a member. Due to my work schedule making the 3 meetings was hard to do. One club officer told me to go to the safety shoot and talk to the President and she would let me join as long as I passd the shoot. After hearing all of the rules and being told I have to attend the meetings, just give them the fee and make 3 meetings to be voted in on as I could . Bottom line, give us money and you can not shoot unil you are here for 3 meetings, but give us money now.

I left with my money

If you want outdoor shooting, I will take you to Fort Dix.